The InPublishing Podcast
James Evelegh talks to Gavin Thompson, Newsquest's regional editor for Wales, about:
- their decision to launch The National last year (in part due to London-based news media not fully understanding Welsh needs)
- about its mission to promote a sense of Welsh identity and pride in the country
- its three core content pillars (Welsh culture, the devolution settlement & social justice)
- how print was an important part of their launch, and might be an important part of their future, but for now, is a distraction
- how the new title fits in with Newsquest's existing Welsh titles
- its dual focus on growing digital subs and audience reach
- how newsletters will play an important role in subscriber retention
- why they (indeed all journalists) need to get better at "talking about ourselves"
- how regional media has reached a tipping point and is becoming a growth business again
- why audience performance is such a key driver of business success
- the importance of "feet on the ground" as opposed to reporting from a bedroom 200 miles away
- and much more...
(This interview was recorded on 6th January.)
We would like to thank our podcast sponsor, Air Business, a market-leader in distribution and subscription management services for the publishing industry. Its end-to-end service includes subscriber acquisition and marketing strategy, worldwide distribution, digital, mail and e-commerce fulfilment, and warehouse and freight logistics.