The InPublishing Podcast
James Evelegh talks to Dave Musgrove, content director, history, at Immediate Media, about:
- their HistoryExtra podcast hitting the twin milestones of 15 years & 150m downloads
- how they're marking the milestones with a new series: '15 minutes of fame'
- introducing a UGC element to their podcasts
- dos & don'ts of creating a successful podcast
- how the podcast started as a marketing channel but is now a monetisable product
- how the HistoryExtra podcast team manages to deliver such prolific output
- why the Bayeux Tapestry still resonates today
- why they've put a paywall on the HistoryExtra website
- their key paywall learnings to date
- his thinking on incorporating a more "clubbable element" to the HistoryExtra offering
- his hopes for a possible new lease of life for the newsstand post-pandemic
- and much more...
(This interview was recorded on 23rd June.)
We would like to thank our podcast sponsor, Air Business, a market-leader in distribution and subscription management services for the publishing industry. Its end-to-end service includes subscriber acquisition and marketing strategy, worldwide distribution, digital, mail and e-commerce fulfilment, and warehouse and freight logistics.