Shaping The Future Of Healthcare
COVID-19: How Decentralization Can Improve Healthcare with Dieter R. Enzmann, MD | Christoph Zindel
As the COVID-19 pandemic has made its way across the globe, it has brought with it lessons the medical community continues to learn daily. The shared experience in hospitals across the globe has opened lines of communication and collaboration that have been strengthened. The early arrival of COVID-19 on the East Coast of the United States allowed the West Coast to be more prepared through an effective information network. It has reminded us of how connected we truly are.
In today’s episode, Managing Board Member Dr. Christoph Zindel speaks with Dr. Dieter Enzmann, Chair of the Department of Radiology at UCLA. Dr. Dieter shares his experiences of the COVID-19 pandemic from his Los Angeles hospital, and discusses how the disruption of elective procedures has been managed.
One of the great lessons the medical community has learned this year is how critical investment in technology and innovation really are. Technologies relating to telemedicine have proven to be efficient, effective, and expedient. In today’s conversation, they talk about the current willingness to invest in healthcare innovation, and how a combination of telemedicine and decentralization can increase the resilience of healthcare systems.
Some Questions We Ask:
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic been developing in California? (1:25)
- What is your perspective on the delay in elective procedures at UCLA? (3:52)
- How do you assess the current possibilities and willingness to invest in healthcare? (12:43)
- What role does radiology play during this pandemic? (16:39)
- Has there been any indication from vendors towards new technologies that promote telemedicine? (23:21)
- How will the ratio of hospital-based, community-based, and home-based care develop in your point of view? (24:45)
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Lessons from the learning curve (6:58)
- A prediction of how we’ll get through COVID-19 (10:29)
- The concept of Punctuated Equilibrium (13:06)
- The future of healthcare innovations (17:44)
- How decentralization can improve healthcare (20:47)
Connect with Dr. Dieter Enzmann:
Connect with Managing Board Member, Christoph Zindel