Shaping The Future Of Healthcare
Pandemics, Globalization, and How To Improve Healthcare through Innovation and Digitalization with Noel Yeo, MD | Christoph Zindel
In an increasingly globalized world, viral spread has been difficult to avoid. Large numbers of people are moving constantly from place to place for business and leisure, and as economic prosperity grows, movement follows suit. While we can’t prevent pandemics from happening, we can learn how to manage them better. With experience comes innovation.
Today, Managing Board Member Christoph Zindel interviews Dr. Noel Yeo, the Senior Vice President of one of Asia’s largest integrated private healthcare groups, Parkway Hospitals in Singapore at Parkway Pantai. Dr. Yeo has an Executive Master of Business Administration, a Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Law and Ethics, and an Executive Diploma in Directorship. He has been leading the group as their hospital facilities have battled the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak.
In this episode, Dr. Yeo tells us what it’s been like working through the COVID-19 pandemic at his hospital in Singapore. Having dealt with the SARS-CoV-1 outbreak back in 2003, Dr. Yeo provides valuable insights from that experience. We’ll talk about what he’s learned, how hospitals can prepare for future outbreaks, and the innovations that have resulted from these experiences. Dr. Yeo also talks about the importance of digitalization, and why a more patient-centric model of healthcare that leans towards prevention is the way of the future.
Some Questions Asked:
- Having experienced another outbreak in 2003, was Singapore better prepared than other countries? (1:53)
- Are applications being used in Singapore to help with contact tracing? (7:27)
- How has the backlog of elective procedures been dealt with in Singapore? (16:50)
- How do you prepare for the next pandemic? (20:13)
- Do you expect the beds and resources used to remain beyond this pandemic waiting for the next one? (25:22)
- How are standard operating procedures dealt with, in such a large network? (29:53)
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- The 3 point strategy used to confront SARS-CoV-2 (4:26)
- How SARS-CoV-2 spread among the population in Singapore (15:07)
- Plans for mass testing when the next wave hits (21:16)
- Predictions about future healthcare challenges in Asia and beyond (33:26)
- How we can use the abundance of data in healthcare to our advantage (37:22)
- One helpful innovation that is being used at Parkway Pantai (39:00)
Connect with Dr. Noel Yeo:
Connect with our Managing Board Member, Christoph Zindel: