Shaping The Future Of Healthcare
How Finland is Leading the Digital Healthcare Revolution with Päivi Sillanaukee, MD, PhD, eMBA | Christoph Zindel
Every country is unique in its healthcare operations. Much of Europe has a long history of socialized medicine based on The Bismark Model, a German system dating back to 1883 which guarantees healthcare to its citizens. Programs in Europe and Asia are primarily adaptations of this model.
By the 1960s, however, Finland saw the need to rethink its healthcare system and create something that served its population better. A young group of doctors who were also in charge of policymaking took the lead in creating a new model. In 1972, the current Finnish healthcare system was signed into law, making public health centers the central concept.
In this episode, Managing Board Member Christoph Zindel interviews Dr. Päivi Sillanaukee, Director-General at the Finnish Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. Dr. Päivi Sillanaukee is the thematic Ambassador for Health and Wellbeing at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland as part of a pilot program of cross-sectoral cooperation on global issues. She also represents Finland on the World Health Organization’s Executive Board.
We’ll learn how the healthcare model in Finland operates, the infrastructure it requires, and how this model actually encouraged digital innovation from its inception. We’ll also discover the lessons that can be extracted from this model that has been serving the Finnish population for nearly half a century.
Some Questions Asked:
- What can we learn from the system of healthcare in Finland? (2:30)
- How do you view the scalability of your system? (6:00)
- How can access to care be improved? (9:20)
- What conditions do policymakers need to create for digitization? (21:37)
- What advantages come from diversity in healthcare? (29:51)
- How do you stay healthy during the long winter months in Finland? (37:59)
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- The role of socialized healthcare in Finland (3:39)
- How Finland built the infrastructure for digitalization (10:59)
- Two things you need in order to have digital innovation in healthcare (14:48)
- Why trust in technology among populations is so important (17:36)
- How culture plays a role in keeping us healthy (39:13)
Connect with Dr. Päivi Sillanaukee:
Connect with our Managing Board Member, Christoph Zindel: