Shaping The Future Of Healthcare
The Climate Crisis and Its Effect on Global Healthcare with Dame Jackie Daniel | Christoph Zindel
Climate change cannot be just wished away without stakeholders taking significant steps to reverse it. To mount an efficient offense against carbon emission, it is important that all industries understand how they contribute to it as well as the steps they can take to get measurable results. The healthcare industry has already seen some stakeholders taking steps to reduce its footprint.
In this episode, Managing Board Member Christoph Zindel is joined by Dame Jackie Daniel, CEO at The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and a leading advocate for reduced carbon emissions by healthcare providers. She’ll help us understand the approach and steps that her hospital has taken to raise awareness and reduce its carbon footprint.
In today’s conversation, you’ll learn about how the healthcare industry contributes to carbon emissions. We’ll also discuss why Newcastle Hospital declared a climate emergency and the steps they’ve taken since the declaration. Lastly, we’ll discuss the challenges that the industry is facing in its efforts to reduce carbon emissions.
Some Questions Asked:
- Why were you honored by the Queen of England? (01:36)
- What are the major climate change issues you see for public health in general? (03:38)
- What are some of the key actions being taken from your side to reduce carbon emission? (15:41)
- What are your key strategies for reducing the wider carbon footprint? (19:29)
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- Why Newcastle hospital declared a climate emergency (06:37)
- Environmental conservation activities that the hospital participates in (09:51)
- The challenges facing the carbon emission reduction efforts (22:31)
- The changes made at a personal level to reduce emissions (28:04)
Connect with Dame Jackie Daniel:
Connect with our Managing Board Member, Christoph Zindel: