Discovering your Emotional intelligence with Dr. Stevie Dawn
Although many people see emotional intelligence as a soft skill, Dr. Stevie Dawn thinks the opposite; it is a hard skill for her. And she goes even further. Before anything, she stops and asks herself why her brain is pushing her in that direction? To Dr. Stevie, emotions are a byproduct of a hormonal response to a mental trigger, meaning every emotion has a thought behind it. To understand and have more control over our emotions, we need to step back a bit and look for the thought that triggered that emotion.
Our guest, Dr. Stevie Dawn, is a Keynote Speaker, Consultant, Coach, Author, Corporate Trainer, and the CEO and Founder of Stevie Dawn Inspires, LLC. She helps those who have unrealized profits, un-lived aspirations, and underwhelming results. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Small Business Administration from Union University, a Master's Degree in Sociology from Wichita State University, and a Ph.D. in Community College Leadership from Colorado State University.
In this episode, our conversation revolves around a different perspective of what emotional intelligence really is. We travel back in time to the moment Dr. Stevie decided to investigate more about emotional intelligence, a decision that would change her life. We learn to use our feelings to leverage our day rather than letting them put us down, and much more. We also analyze the different relationships men and women have with their emotions; we talk about our mantras, the enneagram, and much more.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Why did you decide to actually focus on emotional intelligence? (7:09)
- How has studying emotional intelligence impacted your life? (10:17)
- What does arguing from an emotional intelligence perspective looks like? (10:48)
- Let's say I want to go for a promotion at my job. How do I do it without having to defend myself? (22:48)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Dr. Stevie's definition of emotional intelligence (3:47)
- How can we listen to people through their emotions and not ours (6:41)
- About the difference between how men and women deal with their emotions (15:43)
- How do I feel today? Take a pulse check at the beginning of the day (32:08)
- We are in the driving seat. The apex predator mindset to face life (35:13)
- Dr. Stevie Dawn website
- Always Be The Shark
- Monday Morning Coffee Club podcast
- Book: Dr. Stevie Dawn - Networking 101: Foundation for Success
- Book: Dr. Stevie Dawn - From 0 to 6 Figures
Connect with Dr. Stevie: