Life Sunny-side Up
A Mother’s Heart : Dorothy Dersch, mom of 9. Trial, Triumph, and lessons along the way. Part 1
Being a mom is such a big job, and it’s so overwhelming all the time. The relationship with every kid you have is different, and you have to understand that each one of them has a different personality and different needs.
In today’s episode, Dorothy and I have a journey into her past, and she’s telling us the beautiful story of how she got to where she is now. She is so authentic, wise, and humble, and I believe she is an example of grace to all of us.
Dorothy Dersch is a mom of eight that has had more face to face time with intentional parenting than many people. She says that if you count each child as a unique relationship, she has accumulated a total of 196 parenting years. Her eight children have five different fathers, yet, she’s been married to her first and only husband for 34 years. She worked as a Registered Nurse for a decade before staying at home and managing their crew.
Dorothy believes being a Jesus follower is her calling and part of following Jesus is helping others orient themselves towards him.
So, listen to Episode 17 of Life Sunny Side Up, to find out the story of a powerful woman and how she is an example of dedication, commitment, and love. Also, don’t miss out on the second part of this interview, where she shares some of her methods of raising independent, respectful, and self-empowering children.
Questions I ask:
- For our listeners who might not know who Dorothy Dersch is, please tell us a little about yourself. (03:22)
- Have you done the enneagram? (08:37)
- When did the babies start coming? (11:32)
- Did you deal with postpartum depression at all? (14:23)
- I know your faith plays a big part in your life, and you guys have done so much work in the community. How did that help in those early years? (18:39)
In this episode you will learn:
- The amazing story of how Dorothy and her husband met. (05:15)
- How you can stop having a feeling of guilt, as a fresh mom. (17:06)
- The story of Dorothy’s miscarriage and how that influenced their future. (19:52)
- The story of their first adoption. (25:40)
Join our community: