Music Business Podcast
Fool’s Gold Records Co-Founder Nick Catchdubs on Building a Dominant Independent Label
In this episode, we sit down with Fool’s Gold co-founder and DJ Nick Catchdubs. Along with co-founder and fellow DJ A-Track the two have made Fool’s Gold into one of the predominant independent indie record labels. The label has been built on a strong creative brand, loyal community and event marketing, with the wildly successful Fool’s Gold Day Off party series. Nick and the label have an impressive track record working with artists including, Kid Cudi, Danny Brown, Duck Sauce, Crocker, Carnage and more.
In this episode we discuss
- How Nick got his start in the music business industry when he was brought on by The Fader to launch their site
- How he’s come to balance and manage the responsibilities that have grown with the success of his personal DJ career and that of the label
- What was it was like launching an independent record label in the downturn of the music industry around 2007
- How he sees the role of a record label shifting
- Some of the crazy stories that have gone down during the Day Off party series
As always never hesitate to leave a review or reach out to @musicbusinesspodcast Instagram with any feedback or ideas. Thank you for listening!