#33 Getting out of pain; imposter syndrome; and playing the long game with GB Junior Head Powerlifting Coach, Jason Coultman
Imposter syndrome is an interesting beast.
Though it may be an irrational, fear-based concept - imposter syndrome is still incredibly prevalent within our society right now and is something that holds so many talented, budding creators back from achieving their full potential. Joining me on the show today is GB Junior Head Paralifting Coach, Jason Coultman, to discuss his experience with the phenomenon and share the lessons that he’s learned within the fitness industry as a result of it.
We also talk about Jason’s work helping his clients recover from sports-related injuries. As someone who received multiple injuries himself and underwent an extensive rehabilitation period, Jason has used that experience to better inform his decision-making as a coach and mentor.
If you’re keen to hear more, tune in to Episode 33 of Fitness UnFiltered!
Some Questions I Ask:
- What was your process when recovering from your injuries? (6:26)
- How did your doctor know that your feet were the main contributor to your pain? (11:38)
- How has your own recovery experience informed your one-to-one coaching sessions? (16:03)
- What would you say to a client who wasn’t willing to put the foundational work in before focusing on more advanced fitness goals? (19:17)
- Have you worked with any Sports Psychologists to tackle your imposter syndrome or is it something you’ve dealt with on your own? (36:49)
- When coaching the GB Junior Paralifting team, how do you teach them in a way that is still fun and lets them enjoy their youth? (47:34)
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- Some background on Jason Coultman (2:07)
- What led to Jason helping others recover from their sports-related injuries and pain (4:24)
- Jason’s experience with imposter syndrome (22:19)
- What my own experiences have taught me about perfectionism and the pressures of creativity (30:05)
- Why embracing discomfort and failure is sometimes necessary (43:19)
Connect With Jason Coultman:
- Book: ‘The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles’ Author, Steven Pressfield
- Book: ‘The Imposter Cure: Escape the mind-trap of imposter syndrome’ Author, Dr. Jessamy Hibberd
- Book: ‘The Chimp Paradox’ Author, Steve Dr. Peters