Another Way to Play
Work Smarter not Harder with Shane Melanson
Today I had the pleasure of speaking with Shane Melanson, founder of Melanson’s investments and author of Club Syndication. Shane was successful on paper but miserable in life until he learned systematic ways to invest in the right commercial properties that would inevitably yield seven figures. Shane has now dedicated his life to helping others find the right commercial assets to invest in to escape the need for trading time for money.
Let’s dive into Shane’s story and learn how he figured out how to become successful in commercial real estate by working smart rather than just working hard.
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 - 07:42] Opening Segment
- I introduce Shane Melanson to the show
- Author of Club Syndication
- Host of The Investing Advantage Podcast
- Shane tells us a bit of his back story from childhood to real estate investor
- Learned to budget and make money at a young age
- Shane saw the value of making money passively through personal experience
[07:43 - 19:20] Working Smarter Not Harder
- I talk about my childhood experience with money
- Shane talks about his story of personal development
- Read books like Rich Dad Poor Dad, Think and Grow Rich, and Unleash the Power Within
- Shane realizes he can’t just hoard money and buys his first house
- Flipped 20 homes in the first few years
- I ask Shane when it’s time to focus on a single channel
- Shane shares his experience leaving the corporate world
- Have a plan from point A to point B
- The value of coaching
- I talk about my coaching experience
[19:21 - 33:08] How to Maintain Your Focus
- Shane talks about how he went about setting goals
- Focusing on what is best for you rather than what goals you think you have to achieve
- You need guiding principles that can inform your goals
- Shane shares his experience hiring a business coach
- Remembering why it is you’re doing what you’re doing and prioritize that first
- We talk about our family moments
- Shane talks about his success in commercial real estate while maintaining his lifestyle
- Taking advantage of zoning land
- Always looking to see whether something is worth the time put in
- Assess the liabilities and risks
- Understand the strengths of your partners to know what part of the deals they can execute
[33:09 - 41:36] The FOCUS FIVE Segment
- What book have you gifted most often?
- Club Syndication - Shane Melanson
- Principles - Ray Dalio
- If you can get an hour of somebody's time and ask questions, who would that be and why?
- Michael Jordan
- What is one thing you believe that most people don’t?
- Sharing your story and vulnerabilities even in the real estate space
- Morning routine; How do you start your day?
- Monday - Friday wake up at 5 AM
- Reading through goals
- Burpees and Jumping Jacks
- Work on the tasks with top priority then tackle the hardest thing
- Work out
- What is the best place we can connect with you online?
- See below for social links.
- Final words from me
“Are you great at finding deals? Are you great at making partnerships? Are you great at raising capital? Are you on the execution? Do you lease up prosperity? Do you get the debt? There’s got to be a reason for you to exist, in my opinion, in a deal.” - Shane Melanson
Resources mentioned in the episode:
- Club Syndication - by Shane Melanson
- Principles - by Ray Dalio
- Rich Dad Poor Dad - by Robert Kiyosaki
- Think and Grow Rich - by Napoleon Hill
- Unleash the Power Within - by Tony Robbins
You can connect with Shane on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Visit his website shanemelanson.com and check out his YouTube channel about investing in commercial real estate. Be sure to also listen in to The Investing Advantage Podcast to learn more from Shane on building principles as well as lessons from experienced guests.
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
Are you working HARD but not really moving the needle on anything? You should check out my POWER LIST and find out how you can get more done to move your business, project, or relationship closer to where you want it to be. Let’s go!
To know more about me and all the real estate opportunities you can find, check out my website at Hansstruzyna.com. Get the chance to talk with me for FREE. Set up a call using this link https://calendly.com/h-struzyna/15min