Another Way to Play
The Right Constraints with Blake Haxton
Today I had the pleasure of speaking with Blake Haxton, one of the most inspiring United States Paralympians. At a very early age, he went through a massive amount of trauma after a lot of things happened to him, but then he carries an incredible shift of mindset and has the right constraints.
Let’s dive into this episode and find out how he rose up against his trauma with an indelible spirit and an incredible shift of mindset that led him into a great success in life.
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 - 15:00] Opening Segment
- I introduce guest, Blake Haxton, to the show
- Blake talks briefly about his current life
- Training for 2 Olympic Sports
- Working Fulltime as a Research Analyst
- Blake talks about where his journey begins
- Start rowing since highschool
- Contracted with Necrotizing Fasciitis (flesh-eating disease)
- Went through 20 surgeries and got into a coma for six weeks
- Got both of his legs amputated
- Blake shares the story about overcoming his mental challenges and his physical improvements
[15:00 - 25:19] Gratitude Mindscape
- Blake shares the story about how he responds to his situation with gratitude.
- The realization of family support
- It could be so much worse
- This could happen to anybody, The risk we all take for getting out of bed, everyone has to take that risk, but not everybody has that network that would help them to mitigate the risk
- Blake talks about how he motivates himself to get back up and get a better mindscape
- Think about the people that surround you and support you along the way
- Remember that you have a future ahead of you
- Take a little step to get better every day
- Blake talks about his biggest challenges
- Having to face the fact that his life goals have to put on hold and changed
- Seeing most of his friends go to college and became the kind of athlete he wanted to be
- Blake talks about Getting the right Benchmark of your mindset
- Maximize what we got today
- Mindset transition
- Stop comparing yourself with anyone else
- Pivot and set your own goals
- Getting a lot more empathy and patience towards others
- Everyone got a different level of problem
- Not everyone would be willing to show it
- He shares the story of how people start to share and open up more to him.
[25:20 - 35:44] The Right Constraints
- Blake talks about how he defines freedom
- We are all constrained by many things, but it is not always negative
- Freedom is not having the lack of restriction, but having the right restriction
- The right limitation will push you further
- Getting the most of who you are
- We don’t get to pick our constrain most of the time, but we get to pick our attitude in those constraints to maximize what we are
- Know and have the purpose
- Prepare yourself with the right tools that you have
- Blake talks about the progression from being hospitalized to winning lots of Olympics medal
- Letting go of his perception of an ideal life
- Accepting where he was and maximize himself
- Stop comparing the situation to what it used to be
[35-45 - 38:37] The FOCUS FIVE Segment
- What book have you gifted most often?
- Man's Search for Meaning, Book by Viktor Frankl
- If you can get an hour of somebody's time and ask questions, who would that be and why?
- Walt Disney
- What is one thing you believe that most people would disagree with you:
- Don’t follow your Passion; stay more real.
- Morning routine; How do you start your day?
- Get up early
- Workout immediately
- Continue the day
- What is the best place we can connect with you online?
- See below for social links.
- Final words from me
“This could happen to anybody, The risk we all take for getting out of bed, everyone has to take that risk, but not everybody has that network that would help them to mitigate the risk .” - Blake Haxton
“We don’t get to pick our constrain most of the time, but we get to pick our attitude in those constraints to maximize what we are.” - Blake Haxton
“Don’t follow your Passion; stay more real.” - Blake Haxton
Resources mentioned in the episode:
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
Are you working HARD but not really moving the needle on anything? You should check out my POWER LIST and find out how you can get more done to move your business, project, or relationship closer to where you want it to be. Let’s go!
To know more about me and all the real estate opportunities you can find, check out my website at Hansstruzyna.com. Get the chance to talk with me for FREE. Set up a call using this link https://calendly.com/h-struzyna/15min