Another Way to Play
The Disruptive Successor with Jonathan Goldhill
For this episode, I had the pleasure of speaking with the Founder of the GoldHill Group, Jonathan Goldhill. Jonathan is an adviser, coach, consultant, trainer, facilitator and business therapist with 30 years of experience in his craft. He has been guiding closely-held and family owned businesses since 1987. He has owned/managed several businesses that grew into multimillion-dollar companies, including VEDC in Los Angeles, which grew from a fledgling org. Into the largest business economic development firm in the region.
Let’s dive right in to Jonathan’ story and learn what it takes to be a Disruptive Successor
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 – 05:28] Opening Segment
- I Introduce my guest, Jonathan Goldhill, to the show
- Jonathan talks about his background and what he’s currently working on
[05:29 - 11:10] The Disruptive Successor
- Jonathan’s view on the Disruptive leaders and successors
- The Dynamics of a Family business
[11:11 - 20:40] Becoming a coach and consultant in the Family-owned business sector
- Jonathan talks about his experience of being in a family business
- Going back to business school to focus his study on Entrepreneurship
- University of Southern California
- His years as a coach, consultant, trainer and financer for Entrepreneurs
- He focused on Family businesses
[20:41 - 27:52] Being a Disruptive Successor
- The key things to successfully transition and take over for a senior
- Agreement about roles and responsibilities
- Remove the family dynamic
- Evaluate the successor
- Jonathan talks about being a leader and successor
- Overcoming Ego and the Family Dynamic
[27:53 - 34:15] The FOCUS FIVE Segment
- What book have you gifted most often?
- Becoming a Strategic Business Owner by Daniel M. Murphy
- If you can get an hour of somebody's time and ask questions, who would that be and why?
- Jack Welch
- What is one thing you believe that most people would disagree with you:
- Most Successors would be Disruptors
- Morning routine; How do you start your day?
- Walking the dog
- Yoga and Meditation
- What is the best place we can connect with you online?
- See below for Social links
- Final words from Charlie and me
“To be a real disruptive successor, he or she will have to make some pretty big changes. They need to understand what’s gonna be entailed in these types of changes. And having a playbook that lays-out how the road map’s going to be put together, is going to make it a lot easier.” - Jonathan Goldhill
“When choosing a successor, I want someone humble, I want someone who’s hungry, and I want someone who’s smart. I want them to be a constant learner, because they’re going to be leaders, and leaders are learners.” Jonathan Goldhill
“A person in the wrong seat, is gonna be miserable, uncomfortable and will not deliver the kind of returns for the shareholders, and you're not going to make anyone happy.” - Jonathan Goldhill
Resources mentioned in the episode:
- Disruptive Successor by Jonathan Goldhill
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
Are you working HARD but not really moving the needle on anything? You should check out my POWER LIST and find out how you can get more done to move your business, project, or relationship closer to where you want it to be. Let’s go!
To know more about me and all the real estate opportunities you can find, check out my website at Hansstruzyna.com and follow me on Instagram. Get the chance to talk with me for FREE. Set up a call using this link https://calendly.com/h-struzyna/15min