Another Way to Play
Hitting Above Average with Chris Wooten
Today I had the pleasure of speaking with Chris Wooten, a retired marine turned successful real estate investor with a portfolio of 534 units. In this episode I want us to absorb everything we can from Chris who took his military experience and incorporated it into his real estate empire.
Let’s dive right into Chris’ story and pick his brain about becoming an above average performer in every area of your space.
Things you will learn in this episode:
[00:01 - 09:17] Opening Segment
- I introduce Marine veteran, Chris Wooten
- Currently manages a portfolio of 534 units
- Reminder to send a review - Link at the bottom of the show notes
- Chris talks about his story
- Junior ROTC Major teaches Chris how to keep hitting above average
- Learning how to get promoted by hitting above average in all areas
- I weigh in with my wife’s experience in fitness
- You don’t have to be the best in just one thing
- Chris talks about his Marine Corps experience
[09:17 - 22:43] Hitting Above Average in your Systems
- Chris realized he needed to make and sell his own product
- Surrounded himself with knowledge first
- As he moved around with the military he would research real estate in the areas he was placed in
- How Chris started flipping houses as a side-hustle
- You need to put the right systems in place
- Chris talks about how to make an effective system
- Relying on the team
- How to be a good leader
- The Dichotomy of Leadership - Jocko Willink
- Chris talks about building yourself up first
- I talk about my experience in building systems
- Chris’s final thoughts on system building
[22:43 - 35:00] Hitting Above Average in Your Deals and Strategies
- Chris shares his journey from flipping on active duty to scaling up to Multi Family
- Getting the right culture into your space
- Chris sold all his single family units and re-invested it
- I ask about what Chris is looking for in a deal now
- Chris breaks down his strategy and goals
- Final words on pursuing Above Average performance
- Setting down a narrow path rather than setting a bunch of goals
[35:00 - 40:23] The FOCUS FIVE Segment
- What book have you gifted most often?
- The One Thing
- If you can get an hour of somebody's time and ask questions, who would that be and why?
- Steve Jobs
- What is one thing you believe that most people would disagree with you on
- Chris talks about understanding the “granular pieces”
- Morning routine; How do you start your day?
- Have green juice, work out focusing on fat burn, get the kids to school, learn with audio books while working out
- What is the best place we can connect with you online?
- See below for social links.
- Final words from me
“To be a good leader you have to start with the foundation of yourself.” - Chris Wooten
“Consistent above average performance will overtake excellence in individual events.” - Chris Wooten
Resources mentioned in the episode:
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
Are you working HARD but not really moving the needle on anything? You should check out my POWER LIST and find out how you can get more done to move your business, project, or relationship closer to where you want it to be. Let’s go!
To know more about me and all the real estate opportunities you can find, check out my website at Hansstruzyna.com. Get the chance to talk with me for FREE. Set up a call using this link https://calendly.com/h-struzyna/15min