A Gamer’s Story
Geoffrey Bunting Discusses How Women are Still Under-Represented in the World of Video Games
Are women better represented in today’s gaming industry? Are there stereotypes that need to be broken down? Are female characters in video games always portrayed as strong, independent women? Are they usually depicted as the damsel in distress, or are there other possibilities? Listen to Geoffrey Bunting discuss how he decided to write about feminism and focus on the lack of diversity in the gaming industry.
One of the main reasons Geoffrey, as a disabled person, decided to write about feminism and focus on the lack of diversity in the gaming industry is to try and unify and turn marginalized voices into one.
Geoffrey Bunting is a Graphic and Book Designer, Writer, and Speaker. He is the Founder of Geoffrey Bunting Graphic Design and the Art Director of Timeless Tales Magazine, an independent literary magazine. He has his own blog and has been featured in several portals, like The Face, Counter Arts, UX Collective, to name a few.
In this episode, we look at gaming as something more significant and more profound than just video games. We look at how through games, people can get in touch with what is happening around them and take action to change the things they believe are wrong. Geoffrey shares bits of his background as a gamer and how playing games shaped his worldview. We also talk about his favorite games and where he sees the gaming industry heading.
Tune in to Episode 10 of A Gamer's Story and join Geoffrey and me in this different look at the gaming industry.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Can you tell the audience a little about where you're from and what you do? (1:03)
- What made you decide to write about feminism and female characters in games? (2:54)
- Is it hard to take on such a big topic (feminism) through a gaming lens? (15:44)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why Geoffrey believes it is essential for him to write about feminism and female representation in gaming (5:10)
- How gaming is a little behind other industries regarding gender equality and representation (11:53)
- The reason why Geoffrey decided to create his own blog (18:36)
- Trying to get in front rather than chasing. The new approach of many gaming studios (30:04)
- Where Geoffrey believes the gaming industry is heading (40:45)
Connect with Geoffrey: