Series 2, Episode 1 • What If It's Not Murder?
We set the scene on the horrific and brutal murder of 17-year-old, Sana Ali who was 11 weeks pregnant. The attack on Friday 10 May 2007 resulted in over 40 separate knife wounds, described as ‘sustained and ferocious’, and occurred at the home of her husband’s parents in Bury on the outskirts of Manchester, England.
Sana’s husband, playboy businessman Sair Ali had been having a long-term affair with Harmohinder Sanghera, also known as Mindy. On that fateful day Mindy drove from her home in Solihull, West Midlands to confront Sana about her husbands illicit affair but to tell also her it was all over.
After a trial in November 2007 Mindy, a dentistry student was jailed for life, with a minimum term of 14 years, for the murder of Sana Ali.
Mindy has always maintained her innocence and this podcast will take you through a very careful and thorough forensic re-investigation of all the evidence from both the prosecution and the defence.
We hear from Mindy as she describes her visit to Sana.
You, the listener will be asked to consider if Mindy is a cold-blooded killer or if she is the result of a flawed police investigation, resulting in a tragic miscarriage of justice.
In the opening episode we will explore the following:
· Mindy as a person, and her family's fight for what they believe is a miscarriage of justice
· Background to Mindy’s affair with Sair
· The initial police investigation
· Mindy’s own account of what happened when she visited Sana
TEASE – Next week
· We hear from the police officer that lead the police investigation
· Hear the initial 999 emergency call
· Mindy’s best friend describes her conversations with Mindy on the day of the murder
· We begin to piece together the timeline of Mindy’s movements