E5: Bill Evans. Tales of prog rock super stars, tech development, research and HE advocacy
A podcast about Education in Audio, Music Production, and Music Technology.
In this episode we talk to Bill Evans, producer, researcher, educator and entrepreneur.
Bill is the executive producer who brought together the American supergroup Flying Colors, with musical giants such as Mike Portnoy, Dave LaRue, Casey McPherson, Neal Morse and Steve Morse. Their first album, released in 2012, debuted at No 9 on the Billboard’s Hard Rock Charts (No 11 on BBC’s Rock Album charts). In our chat we discuss the world of the hard-rock music scene and Bill shares some fascinating stories and anecdotes that contain some serious name dropping!
Bill also explores many of the 'secret sources' of his work in our chat, specifically his Harmonic Phrase Analysis and his technologies for live performance production. We also talk about how research (specifically a PhD), balancing the search for new knowledge with the day-to-day needs of the industry, the teaching and learning of students, and the day-to-day work of producers in the industry can all be mutually beneficial.
Links and Sources featured in this Episode:
- MMU (Nov 2015) New technology puts concerts in your pocket, https://www.mmu.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/story/?id=3985
- Flying Colors http://flyingcolorsmusic.com/
- All about Rock (2019) Flying Colors – Third Degree https://allabouttherock.co.uk/flying-colors-third-degree/
- Flying Colors Wikipedia Entry (2020) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Colors_(band)
- Tim's technology projects also get a mention too, for more information please see https://www.reactivebacking.com