Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
Creating Boundaries to Protect Us from Ourselves with Liesl Hays
The corporate world can be rewarding for some people; we've heard of countless cases where people succeeded and built a fantastic career thanks to their skills, effort, consistency, and commitment. But for many others, the corporate world can turn into a torturing experience. Very often, people experience burnout, exhaustion, and profound unhappiness. Companies are obsessed with delivering the perfect service or product, and they push their employees to give 110% 24/7, live for the company, be constantly available, and smile on their faces.
Joining me today is the inspiring Liesl Hays, HR Strategist, Author, and Entrepreneur. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and Government from Kansas State University and a Leadership Certificate from the Kansas Public Health Leadership Institute. In her soon-to-be-published book Broken, Changed, and Rearranged, Liesl tells her story of burnout and self-inflicted 60 hours workweek, how she managed to get herself out of that place, and where she is now.
In this episode, we had a beautiful conversation about choices, priorities, time management, alignment, and inner work. Liesl kindly shared her vision on working long hours, from Monday to Monday, for companies that will find a replacement in a month. We talked about the process of reaching the bottom of the pit in terms of mental exhaustion, and she shared her brilliant idea of being intentional with our time and align our activities with our priorities.
Tune in to Episode 83 of Rejuvenaging and listen to Liesl Hays' advice on finding happiness and fulfillment without experiencing burnout.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Why were you working 60 hours a week? Tell us a bit of the old you (5:30)
- How did you manage to make the switch and seemingly be much happier about it? (11:54)
- What lessons can you teach others concerning how you achieve some sense of balance? (13:49)
- Was it hard to make that kind of change? (17:11)
- Do you have any specific advice for people not experiencing the best version of themselves? (22:02)
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
- How Liesl put herself into a 60 hours workweek schedule (5:42)
- The importance of the internal work (8:38)
- We are all wired differently (14:05)
- What is the essence of aligning how we spend our time with our priorities (19:01)
- What are and why do we need funeral goals (25:06)
- Liesl Hays Website
- Book: Liesl Hays - Broken, Changed and Rearranged: You are Just One Unbearable Truth Away from the Next Person You are Meant to Be - Pre-order
Connect with Liesl:
Useful Rejuvenaging Resources:
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser -Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: email@example.com
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place