Be the Show, Not the Commercial with Shawn P. Walchef of Cali BBQ
Shawn P. Walchef is a podcast host, business coach, and the founder of Cali BBQ Media. Since opening the first Cali BBQ restaurant in 2008, he has grown the San Diego-area chain to 5 locations and created a global brand through the power of digital storytelling. Here, he discusses how he developed his brand by leaning into crazy, cultivating curiosity and by following his grandfather’s example.
- How to tell your business's story on social media.
- The importance curiosity has played in Shawn's success.
- How to be fearless and "lean into your crazy."
- How Shawn is putting So Cal BBQ on the map.
1:20 Tod and Shawn put their NFL rivalries aside for the good of the show.
2:30 What differentiates Cali BBQ from other regional BBQ?
4:20 What does Cali BBQ taste like?
6:00 What has Shawn learned from hosting the Restaurant Influencers podcast?
8:20 “Be the show, not the commercial.”
9:10 How to lean into your crazy.
10:45 The power of specifics in marketing your brand.
11:55 The importance that curiosity plays in Shawn's life.
16:00 Shawn's unapologetic embrace of the Chargers after they left San Diego helped put his business on the map.
20:00 Shawn's philosophy for creating happy employees.
23:00 How does Shawn choose the stories he tells about his business?
This episode’s guest:
• Shawn P. Walchef
• Follow him on all socials @shawnpwalchef
Subscribe and leave a 5-star review:
• Join the conversation by leaving a comment!
• Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn!
Thanks for listening!