Liveaboard Sailing Podcast
The reality of liveaboard sailing: Epic adventures and sleepless nights
My first guests are Darren and Amanda from SV Panda and oh boy do they have a story to tell! Their journey has taken them from Florida and the Caribbean to the UK, and one could say they took the scenic route as they crossed the Atlantic via Greenland. They've done all this in two years - did I mention they started with zero sailing experience?
Not only do Amanda and Darren share the details of their adventure but we talk about what the liveaboard sailing is actually like, both the good and the bad. They also shed light to the financial aspects of sailing, like the cost of their bluewater sailboat and its outfitting, and the on-going monthly costs of liveaboard sailing.
Here's what you can expect from this episode of Liveaboard Sailing Podcast:
- 5:10 The reasons why Amanda and Darren decided to abandon a comfortable life on land to go sailing
- 10:40 The reality of the sailing lifestyle
- 15:30 How Amanda and Darren made the switch to the liveaboard sailing life in a matter of months
- 21:20 Going from zero sailing experience to crossing the Atlantic via Greenland
- 28:10 Their long term financial approach that allows them to keep sailing
- 33:40 The cost of their bluewater sailboat and outfitting + monthly costs of liveaboard sailing
- 38:05 Two things they would do differently knowing everything they know now after two years of sailing
- 41:20 Buying a sailboat without much experience
- 44:10 Darren and Amanda's advice to aspiring liveaboard sailors