San Francisco Real Estate: Escrow Out Loud
#66: Name That Neighborhood
Today on Escrow Out Loud, our San Francisco Real Estate podcast, we continue the neighbourhood theme from last time with a game; let’s play Name That Neighborhood!
[00:21] How quickly can Britton figure out the neighborhood in question while Matt reads out descriptive sentences?
We cover: Lake Street, Nob Hill, Western Addition, Clarendon Heights, Alamo Square, Twin Peaks, Anza Vista, Hayes Valley, North Panhandle, Dolores Heights, The Mission, Dogpatch, SoMa, Westwood Highlands, Miraloma, Forest Hill - throwing in some interesting facts and musings along the way.
[07:49] How do freeways affect neighbourhoods? As the city evolves, old freeways are torn down and new ones are built up, but do they always make sense within a neighborhood?
[14:39] The gentrification issue is a contentious one and raises an interesting question: Who does a neighborhood belong to?
[22:22] There are a number of transformations planned for the city over the coming years – it will be interesting to see how these changes will further impact the city and its neighborhoods.
Thank you for listening. If you enjoyed this episode leave us a review on your favourite platform, tell your friends and don’t forget to join us again next week!
View all episodes
119. Doing Business In The Castro19:19In this episode our guest is San Francisco local business owner, past member of The Castro Merchant Association and current board president of The Castro Street Fair. Meet Jenn Meyer, owner of Local Take, a one-of-kind amazing hand-crafted local artist-maker gallery/gift store. She talks to Matt about owning a business in The Castro, her role supporting the upcoming Castro Street Fair and Why Her One Perfect Bite Has Nacho Cheese It.What is Local Take, and what do they sell?Jenn's Favorite Neighborhood?What is Castro Street Fair?Who Shops Local Take?What Do Tourists Miss in San Francisco?Differences between Castro and Inner Sunset?Opinion on the Formula Retail?When is Castro Street Fair?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening from your San Francisco real estate friends!
118. Cooperation-ish49:50In this episode our guest is Real estate broker Kevin Birmingham. He's founder and broker of Park North Real Estate and Past-President of the San Francisco Association of Realtors®. With more than 20 years’ experience, clients choose to work with Kevin for his full service, expertise and ethics. Kevin's insight on San Francisco's residential real estate market is unparalleled. He is known for outstanding customer service, high-level marketing techniques, and is a skilled negotiator with his clients’ best interest at heart. Born and raised in San Francisco, Kevin's list of contacts is as impressive as his historical knowledge of the City's unique neighborhoods. Kevin has a degree in economics from Colorado State University. The father of 3 children, Kevin and his wife Terra enjoy Bay Area sports and walks with their dog.How is Cooperation Amongst Realtors and Their Brokerages Going?Is the Market Slowing Down?How Hard is a Realtor Job?What Has Changed In the Internet Era?What are the Threats to Realtor Associations?Is the MLS in an Orderly Marketplace, or is it a Monopoly?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!
117. Paint By Number with Dr. Color24:51In this episode our guest is Dr. Color, Bob Buckter. He's provided home color consulting on over 23,000 homes across the world, and more than 17,000 of those are in San Francisco and San Francisco Bay Area. He's responsible for many of the bright, standout colors of some of the city’s most iconic Victorians and Edwardians. We're talking about his beginnings in color consulting, what he likes and what he hates, plus, we'll be getting some great advices and insights about his work. Learn more about his work at drcolor.comOn What Types of Buildings did Dr. Color work?How to Define Good Taste?Why Should We Use Test Colors?What are the Current Trends Right Now? When Did Colorist Movement Started in San Francisco?What Should You Never Do When Picking Colors?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!
115. Matt Has a Size Problem35:26In this episode our guest is Feng Shui certified trainer and real estate stager Steve Kodad. He's a former math teacher and successful basketball trainer. He has taught thousands of real estate agents, home stagers and home owners how to sell property quickly using Feng Shui.What is Feng Shui?What are the Most Common Misconceptions About Feng Shui?How to Make Small Apartment Look Better to be in?How Important is Natural Light in Your Living Space?What are Benefits of Having a Few Plants in Your Living Space?Importance of Artwork in Feng Shui?Which Colors Suit Which Room?What are Steve's Four Big D's?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!
116. It's Complicated, Meet SB934:32In this episode our guest is Brett Gladstone, Of Counsel Goldstein, Gellman, Melbostad, Harris & McSparran, LLP. For the past 35 years, Brett Gladstone has focused his practice on land use entitlement matters and real estate transactions, along with condominium and subdivision law, Mr. Gladstone represents investors and developers in land-use entitlement proceedings and CEQA compliance with respect to residential and mixed use development throughout the Bay Area. As part of his work, Brett makes regular appearances before Bay Area Planning Commissions, City Councils, Board of Supervisors, and Landmarks Boards. He lectures and writes on a variety of topics, including development entitlements, condominium law, and planned developments. Brett is called on from time-to-time to give expert witness testimony on real estate entitlement matters.What is SB 9 Law?What Does it Solve?What is the Future of Single-Family Zoning?Is There Anyone Who'd Like to Avoid SB 9?How do Dwelling Unit Built Under SB 9 Differ From ADU's?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!
114. Earthquake Vulnerabilities and Preparing for the Big One39:32In this episode we are joined by Chief Mitigation Officer for the California Earthquake Authority, Janiele Maffei. She was hired as C.E.A.'s first Chief Mitigation Officer in May 2011, and became their director of research in 2015. Currently her responsibilities include managing the California Residential Mitigation Program and that program's first retrofit incentive program, known as the Earthquake Brace and Bolt Program. On top of all that, she's also responsible for various research projects that will benefit us all through strategic insurance, mitigation, and education goals of the California Earthquake Authority. In our conversation with Janiele, we talk about a lot of topics, including all of the following:How to manage Earthquake Safety and Earthquake Insurance in San Francisco?What Kind of Houses are Most Vulnerable to Earthquakes in Bay Area?Which are the Top Five Vulnerabilities in Houses?What are Cripple Walls in Buildings?What are Vulnerabilities of Hillside Houses?What Construction Work Should be Done to Make Homes Safer from Earthquakes?How to Retrofit Homes to be Safer in the Future?What and How to Plan for an Earthquake?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!
113. A Chat About the SF Leasing Market with Inna Rubinchik28:19In this episode we are joined by the Regional Leasing Director at Compass, Inna Rubinchik. You can find her as LeasingAgent415 on social media including her YouTube channel. Check out all of her amazing videos and photos of properties around San Francisco.These are some of the topics we cover in this episode with Inna:How it is to Work as a Real Estate Agent in San Francisco?Has the Leasing Market hit the Bottom?Which Neighbourhoods are First or Worst these days?What can You Expect and What are the Prices on the Market?How Much of Her Job is to Help People Correct Misunderstandings of What They See on the Internet?Are There Many Scams on the Market?Is San Francisco a Pet-Friendly City?What is Her Ideal Client?What was the First Deal She Made?As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!
112. A Mighty Solution For A Major Housing Crisis29:57In this episode we are joined by the Director of Sales at Mighty Buildings, Natalia! Mighty Buildings makes an amazing pre-fab home product that has already been installed and is in use in the bay area, across California, and elsewhere. Pre-fab homes have a ho-hum reputation in the industry, but 3D printing and other technological advances have changed the game in mighty ways. In our conversation with Natalia, we talk about a lot of topics, including all of the following:What is Mighty Buildings? How is it different from past and other pre-fab?How Much Land Do You Need? Can it be Painted?Where Have Mighty Buildings Already Been Installed?What’s the Lifespan? How about Maintenance and Warranty? What’s the Roof?How Does the American market for pre-fab compare to the global market? How can Mighty Buildings help solve the California Housing Crisis? And, of course, How can You Learn More About a Mighty Home? As always, thanks for listening! If you enjoyed the show, a five-star rating on your favorite podcast app really makes a difference to our show rankings. Until next time, thanks for listening!