Commentary and analysis on issues important to the advertising community
1. Looking Towards a New Era39:41IAB’s Executive Vice President of Public Policy Dave Grimaldi joins IAB Editor-in-Chief Brad Berens to offer an inside look at D.C’s atmosphere in the aftermath of the unprecedented events of January 6th. Our experts also discuss what Democratic control of Congress and the White House might mean for the digital advertising industry. Will anti-trust legislation against Big Tech be more likely under a Democratic government? This and more on our latest episode of IAB Real.
12. CCPA Litigation Trends After First 50 Lawsuits17:09Alex Propes chats with Ashley Shively of Holland & Knight about the more than 50 lawsuits that have been filed under the CCPA since the law went into effect in January 2020. Ashley highlights the key trends that are emerging from these cases, and what we should anticipate as they work their way through the courts. Read Holland & Knight's recent article on CCPA litigation: https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/publications/2020/07/litigating-the-ccpa-in-court
11. Location Data Privacy and the Fight Against COVID-1940:31Alex Propes chats with Stacey Gray of the Future of Privacy Forum about location data and its privacy implications. We cover how location data originates, what determines its accuracy, how it is used, and why Congress is debating its application in the fight against the coronavirus. Read more about FPF's work on location data: https://fpf.org/2020/05/22/new-infographic-illustrates-key-aspects-of-location-data/
10. Schrems II and the End of Privacy Shield26:06Alex Propes chats with Paul Breitbarth of TrustArc about the recent decision by the top European Court to invalidate the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework, in which many IAB members participate.
9. The Misguided DC Advertising Tax18:25Alex Propes chats with Stephanie Do of the Council on State Taxation about the DC Council's proposed advertising tax and its implications for DC's media and publishing community.
8. International Taxes on Digital Advertising Revenues26:19Alex Propes chats with Joe Kennedy of the Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (ITIF) about the alarming trend of countries taxing U.S. companies' digital advertising revenues and what the response has been from the U.S. government. For more on this topic, read ITIF's report on Digital Services Taxes: www.itif.org/publications/2019/05/13/digital-services-taxes-bad-idea-whose-time-should-never-come
7. The Declining Price of Advertising21:12Alex Propes chats with Michael Mandel of the Progressive Policy Institute and Wharton Business School about why the share of GDP going to advertising in media has dropped by roughly 25% and what implications this has for regulators. Read Michael's report on the declining price of advertising: www.progressivepolicy.org/issues/government-reform/the-declining-price-of-advertising-policy-implications-2/
6. The Contentious Private Right of Action24:32IAB's Alex Propes chats with Jordan Crenshaw of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce about why a private right of action has become the most contentious issue in the congressional debate over federal privacy legislation, and what we can learn about this issue from other privacy laws. Read more about the U.S. Chamber's work on private rights of action: https://www.instituteforlegalreform.com/research/ill-suited