WHAT HEROES DO...
ABIDING: The Positive and Practical Podcast
It is a great pleasure to welcome JOE TRUAX to the What Heroes Do Podcast Network, and on this episode of ABIDING. He is putting himself out there to help and support males of all ages by helping them find their place in the ever-changing world. He is starting Stateside and doing his best through his organisation, GuyCry and has already established the amazing community actively using https://www.reddit.com/r/GuyCry to help men grow and become more and more emotionally intelligent, and is currently working on organizing in-person AA-type group meetings as part of a nonprofit program. Men everywhere need all the assistance that Joe and his team can give them. You can check out his podcast here:
And you can contact Joe at: email: email@example.com and LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephtruax
#mentalhealth #mentalhealthawareness #menshealth #mensmentalhealth #GuyCry
View all episodes
21. ABIDING: Talking Connection, Conversation and Creation37:14In the third and final in our series of Movember episodes focusing on Male Mental Health, we chat with Jon Whitfield of Men's Sheds.Banishing loneliness and isolation isn’t easy, which is why Men’s Sheds encourages local communities to come together to build, fix and restore – projects as well as themselves!So if you have a male relative: dad, grandad, uncle; who you think could benefit from some company and practicality, why not give Men's Shed a thought? Men’s Sheds (or Sheds) are similar to garden sheds – a place to pursue practical interests at leisure, to practice skills and enjoy making and mending. The difference is that garden sheds and their activities are often solitary in nature while Men’s Sheds are the opposite. They’re about social connections and friendship building, sharing skills and knowledge, and of course a lot of laughter. Many Sheds get involved in community projects too – restoring village features, helping maintain parks and green spaces, and building things for schools, libraries and individuals in need. Whatever the activity, the essence of a Shed is not a building, but the connections and relationships between its members.#Movember #Movember2023 #MensSheds #MensShedsUK #MentalHealth #OctopusFoundation
20. ABIDING: Discipline, Consistency and Mixed Martial Arts58:14Welcome to the positive and practical podcast from the WHAT HEROES DO PODCAST NETWORK.We have reached Episode 20 of ABIDING and could not be more grateful to everyone who has contributed over the recent months to help in our mission: To Help Just One Person, and continue to honour the name and memory of dear friend, Steven Carne.In this episode we talk to Mixed Martial Artist (and fellow Geek Out Specialist and Podcaster) GILMAN AHMED who shares his views on the required discipline, courage and consistency to make it in this awesome community.It would also be just plain wrong if we did not have a Geek Out Session over recent movie and TV news - so that is exactly what we do, as we talk LOKI, THE MARVELS, the MCU Fanbase, the SONY SPIDER-VERSE, and we take an unexpected but welcome turn into the area of diversity casting. ENJOY!
19. ABIDING: The Positive and Practical Podcast33:53With MOVEMBER upon us, with annual events taking place throughout the month of November to raise awareness of men's health issues, such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men's suicide, we at the WHAT HEROES DO PODCAST NETWORK will be marking the month by welcoming several special guests to tell us about their organisations or personal journeys. We hope these will inspire and encourage others to make positive, practical changes for their own mental health and personal wellbeing.First up, we welcome STUART FAWCETT, Project Development Champion for ANDY'S MAN CLUB: a men’s suicide prevention charity, offering free-to-attend peer-to-peer support groups across the United Kingdom and online. They want to end the stigma surrounding men’s mental health and help men through the power of conversation. #ITSOKAYTOTALK#movember #andysmanclub #itsoktotalk #suicideprevention #menshealth #mensmentalhealth @andysmanclubuk @AndysManClubEXT @AndysmanclubP @AmcSouthend @AmcChelmsford @GrimsbyAMC @AmcBasildon @Awareness4Andys @andys_manoa @AndysManClubFC
18. ABIDING: The Positive and Practical Podcast46:43Welcome to the positivity podcast: ABIDING, from the WHAT HEROES DO PODCAST NETWORK. It is an absolute pleasure to welcome our latest guest onboard, Hanna McCloskey, the CEO and Founder of professional teaching and coaching organisation FEARLESS FUTURES.Fearless Futures serves daring organisations - across sectors - ready to actively challenge inequities by addressing their roots, intersections, and lived realities. Hanna and her team facilitate transformative equity and inclusion learning experiences, in-person and online, as well as partner with their clients through consultancy in service of designing equitable ecosystems for people and products.Hanna is here to share her positive and rewarding experiences gained through 'a bucket of courage', unwavering dedication, consistency, maintaining personal wellbeing, and the support of those around her; which we hope will inspire anyone and everyone listening who has an idea they are truly passionate about...but may be holding back from taking the next step into entrepreneurship.We also talk about THE MARVELS too!Listen, enjoy and share!#positivity #entrepreneurship #empowerment #femaleentrepreneurship #professionalcoaching #positivitypodcast #businesspodcast #fearlessfutures
17. ABIDING: The Positive and Practical Podcast49:56ABIDING, from the What Heroes Do Podcast Network concludes the Back to School Season for 2023 by circling back to the Early Years age group. We started our series of discussions with Separation Anxiety, followed by trying to remove the stigma from SEN, then we had a great talk about living with a new Empty Nest. Now, we welcome Dr. Adrienne Robek PhD, BCBA-D from the Jumpstart Center for Special Needs, who guides as through Developmental Milestones and Delays: From Birth to Four Years of Age. To learn more, check out cdc.gov/MilestoneTracker Jumpstart Center for Special Needs is an educational center that provides high-quality learning opportunities and multidisciplinary programs for individuals with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental delays. They also provide support for families through individual parent training sessions and consultations. They work closely with parents to ensure their children thrive, develop new skills and strengths, and provide new opportunities to enhance their lives and futures. JS Center for Special Needs empowers families to be part of the therapeutic services they provide.
17. WHAT HEROES DO...AHSOKA FINALE REVIEW!57:32We gather a team to the WHAT HEROES DO CAVE to talk the finale of STAR WARS' AHSOKA!! We have Luke the Lawyer, Dean the Gentleman Geek, Lee the Dataman and special guest and friend of the show Kibla Ahmed from The Brothers Geek Out Podcast.Where does the show go from here? How does the team reunite? Where does Star Wars go from here? And we offer our recasting suggestions for the late great Ray Stevenson in his incredible final role. ENJOY!#starwars #ahsoka #thrawn #ezra #anakin #spacewhales #nightroopers #nightsisters #skeletoncrew #podcast #starwarspodcast
16. ABIDING: The Positive and Practical Podcast37:12Did you turn your back for a second and suddenly your baby is an adult?? Time to Abide.We have another episode of ABIDING dedicated to this time of year, when little ones are settling back into school...and not so little ones are leaving home for the first time...leaving their parents in the fabled Empty Nest. But as always help us at hand, this time we are delighted to have the CEO of MIND Mid Herts, UK, Ms Sharn Tomlinson here to share her personal and professional experience to help and support you or perhaps someone you know who may be going through this sad time. Sharn also guides us through the Five ways to wellbeing | New Economics Foundation which is a truly amazing piece research that proved if you practice these 5 things you will maintain a healthy mind!While we are here: this little podcast network has just turned ONE YEAR OLD. As a wee birthday present can you leave a comment on whatever platform you found this episode if you have enjoyed any episode? If you want to delve a little deeper: a very interesting new health research projects of the past decade or so has looked at how exactly exercise makes us feel good. Research shows that there appears to be a clear scientific reason, that we can see at a cellular level. When muscles contract, they secrete chemicals into the bloodstream. Among these chemicals are myokines, which have been referred to as “hope molecules”. These small proteins travel to the brain, cross the blood-brain barrier, and act as an antidepressant. They do this by improving our mood, our ability to learn, our capacity for locomotor activity, and protect the brain from the negative effects of ageing. This has been referred to as “muscle-brain cross-talk” The secret to why exercise is so good for mental health? ‘Hope molecules’ | Devi Sridhar | The Guardian Devi Sridhar is Chair of Global Public Health at the University of Edinburgh.
15. ABIDING: The Positive and Practical Podcast38:47We are continuing with our BACK TO SCHOOL theme here at ABIDING, brought to you by the WHAT HEROES DO...PODCAST NETWORK.Last time we talked about Separation Anxiety in little ones who have issues, some which may be underlying, saying goodbye to their parents at the school gate. This time we welcome Special Educational Needs (SEN) Co-ordinator, Suzanne Swanepol to guide our listeners through the current eduactional environment and how every educator wants the very best for the children in their care. Sometimes a child will need additional support with their learning and/or behaviour...and that is fine.Suzanne will put all parents at ease and explain every child is a wonder, and that there is no shame or guilt to be had in being contacted by a school's SEN Department, who are ready to offer their professional, empathetic support, as we endeavour to take out the stigma out of SEN. Enjoy.
16. WHAT HEROES DO...TALKIN' THE HOLLYWOOD STRIKES37:32The HOLLYWOOD STRIKES continue to rumble on delaying film and TV shows but more importantly preventing honest hardworking folk - actors, supporting artists, tradesmen, caterers, make-up artists, VFX artists - from earning a living.THE WHAT HEROES DO PODCAST NETWORK (celebrating our one year anniversary)'s very own LEGAL EAGLE, LUKE The Lawyer ENGLISH and CINEMA SCHOLAR Glen Dower break down what is actually going on and keep it simple...Enjoy!#sag #hollywood #hollywoodstrikes #streamers #strikeaction #netflix #amazon #disney #unions #actorsunion #wga