“I preserve vintage TV art.”
Chi-Tien Lui is known the world over as one of the last people who can repair and preserve TV art. Because the video art by the likes of Andy Warhol and Nam June Paik were made with now antiquated televisions. Inevitably, those break. And finding the right replacement parts is almost as difficult as finding someone who knows how to actually fix these things. But the only other alternative is letting those works of art be lost forever. And that can’t happen.
View all episodes
6. "I'm a monster truck driver."33:18Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY! Time to fuel those carbureted dreams of crushing cars and breaking hearts because today we have Monster Jam's Entertainer of the Year, the driver for team Megalodon, Bernard Lyght.Bernard tells us how he became the man behind the machine. The cowboy to these mechanical stallions (and how you can too, honestly). And he answers the biggest question of all: How real are these races?Support the show by grabbing some merch at: weird.workAnd remember – Weird Work loves you.
5. "I'm the trivia master for Learned League."30:05You may know him as Thorsten A. Integrity. Around here, we know his true identity, Shayne Bushfield. And after leaving behind his secure life at Microsoft, Shayne pursued his passion to create one of the biggest invite-only trivia competitions -- Learned League.Learn what it takes to not only be a trivia master but the league's commissioner. And if you take a page out of Shayne's methodical approach to transitioning from corporate world to trivia mastermind, you may just find a path towards pursuing your own passion.Learn more about Learned League.Support the show: Buy Weird Work merch!Know a weird job we should cover? Email us: email@example.comAnd as always, remember -- We love you, weirdo. Stay you.
4. "I'm a professional butler."32:37If you own a castle on a secluded island, can you really expect to dress yourself? When you're cruising the Mediterranean on a super yacht, can you really be expected to make your own shrimp cocktails? The world needs butlers.Paul Huizinga lost his job in the financial collapse of 2008 . Left wondering what to do with his life in his mid-fifties, Paul decided to pursue his lifelong passion: becoming a professional butler. And today? Paul is the head recruiter at the Internal Butler Academy in the Netherlands.Learn more: The International Butler AcademySupport the show: Buy Weird Work merch!Know a weird job we should cover? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.orgAnd as always, remember -- You are a unicorn among horses. We love you, weirdo. Stay you.
3. "I'm a pet psychic."26:55Martha talks to animals. Martha Malone – pet psychic, pet communicator - surfs the astral plane to telepathically connect with animals living or deceased. She communicates between animal and human to help vocalize everything from behavior issues to closure after passing on.Martha talks about how she communicates with animals, animal spirit personalities, and what happens when you have two spirits in the same body. If you want to support the show check our our merch at weird.work
2. "I'm a financial dominatrix."42:27Whether your kink is karma or carnage, there’s always something out there for you. And our guest sure found her sweet spot - financial domination.We're talking with the manipulatrix, the vocal priestess, the hypno crypto queen herself – Theodora.Theodora dabbles in “traditional” dominatrix work, but her clients – or, pay pigs as they’re affectionately known – are most interested in her controlling their finances. That can mean controlling their bank accounts. It can also mean setting up her submissives to mine crypto currency for her. Clients can pay her bills, or even get her a new pair of her favorite Louboutin shoes.
1. "I'm a location scout."29:37Lori Balton has been a location scout with over IMDB credits to her name. She’s scouted locations for every type of film. From big budget action movies like Heat, Armageddon, The Dark Rises, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters to Nic Cage classics – Face Off and City of Angels.Not to mention, recent gold man award noms, like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, There Will be Blood, Top Gun Maverick (prediction), and the upcoming, star-studded contender Babylon. For her contributions to the profession Lori was the first location scout to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.Lori takes Sam through how she got started in scouting, how the profession has hanged over time, and why.
10. “I’m The Points Guy.”29:44Brian Kelly has been known to the world as The Points Guy since launching his blog in 2011, but he started slinging credit card reward points long before then. And today, the man with 25 credit cards is the guru of all things travel. Brian talks about the credit card he can’t leave home without, dispels the worst myth about credit cards, and helps you find your way to first-class air travel in no time.
8. “I teach kids to be YouTube stars.”26:38Summer camp usually brings to mind outdoor sports and campfire songs. But the idea of camp that so many people have come to know has evolved into something they might never have imagined. Alexander Rossi is the creator of YouTube STAR Camp, a summer program that helps kids learn the skills they need to become the next great YouTube stars. And while it might not sound like it at first, this camp has something every kid will want… and need.