Under The Skin with Russell Brand
Some Exciting News...Season #2: Under The Skin to the bone!
The first season of Under The Skin has come to an end. Thank you for listening to and supporting this podcast, it's been a fantastic year with brilliant guests. But don't worry Season #2 will be back on June 2nd with some exceptional new guests including Jim Carrey, Gabor Mate and Tony Robbins! Stay tuned...
View all episodes
80. Deepak Chopra Deep Meditation01:51:25In this episode Deepak and I discuss the practical side of spirituality. He explains what scientific research has discovered about how a spiritual practice can significantly alter your life. Deepak also gives me a guided meditation. The meditation is in the second half of this part and includes a deconstruction of the method and why it works. Recorded in 2019 this episode, Part 2 of 2, continues to give and give. Come for the conversation, stay for the powerful meditation.
79. Deepak Chopra on Cosmology and Consciousness54:12In this week’s "best of" episode, part 1 of 2, Deepak and I chatted about the nature of consciousness, He unloaded his extensive knowledge of the cosmos, described what it means to be embodied, shared his understanding of what a belief in God is or means, and listed some of the reasons people suffer from existential crises. It was a wonderful exchange. Enjoy. (Originally published September, 2019)
78. On Calming Stress and Anxiety--with Tapping, ft. Nick Ortner01:20:14Best-selling author of The Tapping Solution, Nick Ortner is here! He describes the technique known as Tapping, which is a natural healing method that combines ancient Chinese acupressure and modern psychology. .Nick tells us the science behind Tapping (also known as Emotional Freedom Technique, or EFT) and describes how it effects the brain and the body. Tapping, he says, can turn off the flight-or-flight mode, to help the body relax and heal. He has been developing and practicing this technique for a long time, and has helped people from all walks of life--including high functioning athletes, people with chronic pain, those suffering from grief, and others. In this episode (originally published in 2021) Nick also does a live Tapping demo with me to help me with a specific issue I’m dealing with.
242. Noam Chomsky on Anarchy and Charting the Future01:04:26This week I spoke with Noam Chomsky, one of the most influential intellectuals in the world. He is a Professor Laureate of Linguistics at the University of Arizona, a professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the author of more than 150 books!During our conversation I asked him whether he thought a decentralization of power and anarchism are important subjects for the future. As you’d expect, there were some striking answers from the 93-year-old philosopher.
241. Matt Stoller on Why the Economy is Screwed01:17:22This week I spoke with Matt Stoller, Director of Research at the American Economic Liberties Project. He’s a contributor on the YouTube show "Breaking Points" and author of Goliath: The Hundred Year War Between Monopoly Power and Democracy.In our conversation I asked Matt about whether it’s time for a revolution--to do something radical? He reveals something very interesting in his response!
240. Nicolas Glynos on Why We're Investing In Psychedelics58:06This week I spoke with Nicolas Glynos, who is Vice President of the Student Association for Psychedelic Studies and Co-founder of Psychedelic Neuroscience and Therapy for the University of Michigan. His latest work is focused on the chemical compound DMT (N, N- Dimethyltryptamine). Together we talk about the neurological picture of the brain when DMT has been administered with ‘mental time-travel’ and ‘planning,’ and the many ways to measure the brain under psychedelics. Plus, we find out about ayahuasca.More Info:See Nicolas’ TED Talk, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFnCwXPjSCkJoin me for a 10-minute meditation over on my other podcast Above the Noise.
239. David Buss on Who's Hijacking Our Future01:08:47This week I spoke with David Buss, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of Texas at Austin. He is one of the founders of the field of evolutionary psychology, and his current research focuses on sex differences in mate selection, mate attraction, infidelity, and the emotions of jealousy, lust, and love.More Info:Find out more about David Buss, here https://labs.la.utexas.edu/buss/david-buss/ Join me for a 10-minute meditation over on my other podcast ‘Above the Noise’, Join my mailing list and find out more about a one-off special with Wim Hof on July 10th and other exclusive news from my weekly bulletins too. https://www.russellbrand.com/join