Self-acceptance and coming full circle - with Tim Lodge
Welcome to Episode 4 of The Rewriters.
The Rewriter we feature in this episode is Paralympic Athlete, Wellbeing Advocate and Entrepreneur, Tim Lodge.
Tim spent his 20s and 30s living the high life with a successful career in Corporate Finance. Although on the outside, he had all the trappings of success, on the inside he was suffering and by his 40s he was drinking daily and struggling with anxiety and depression.
This all changed when at age 41 he received a phone call that would change his life in ways he could never have imagined.
Although Tim’s story of transformation is remarkable, this isn’t a story of achieving the unimaginable, it’s the story of uncovering who you are, self-acceptance and coming full circle – it’s the story of a man and his boat.
Like what you heard? Don't forget to Rate and Review in Apple Podcasts or Subscribe and Share wherever you get your podcasts #TheRewritersPod.
Connect with Tim
Work with Monique
I work with people all over the world helping them to rewrite their stories. Work with me 1:1 or join one of my group coaching programmes. My flagship programme Rewrite Your Career Story begins again in January 2021. You can find more details as well as lots of free resources and useful content on my website www.rewriterewrite.com.
The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by me, Monique Shaw
With original music by DJ Cinnamon.
Bye for now Rewriters!
View all episodes
22. What happened when I just stopped - with Monique Shaw24:32Hello Rewriters!It’s been a minute, hasn’t it? In today’s special solo episode, I want to share what happened with I just stopped (almost everything) during the summer of 2022 – I call this The Summer I Stopped.Ever feel like you're managing everything too precariously and you’re about to drop one of those plates? If you have, this episode is for you.During the episode I share:Why Summer 2022 was the Summer I StoppedHow I finally learned the importance of restWhy I replaced meditation with vegemite on toast5 things I learned from The Summer I StoppedResources & links:3 simple ways to develop a daily meditation habit: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/blog/3-simple-ways-to-establish-a-daily-meditation-habit'Rewrite Your Career Story' coaching programme: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/rewrite-your-career-storyConnect with Monique:Subscribe to 'The Rewrite' newsletter: www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteEmail: email@example.comWeb: www.rewriterewrite.comInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/The Rewriters Podcast is on pause until Monique returns from maternity leave in late 2023. See you then! The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
21. Weekly Rewrites #4: How to grow confidence and overcome imposter syndrome28:07In this week's Weekly Rewrite, I’m talking about confidence and imposter syndrome: How to grow confidence and overcome imposter syndrome.During the episode I explain:Why to stop trying to be confident – and what to do insteadWhere confidence and imposter syndrome intersectWhat imposter syndrome is – my beliefs and what I’ve learnedHow to overcome imposter syndrome (one step at a time)Resources referenced:Why you should stop trying to be more confident by Monique Shaw3 https://www.rewriterewrite.com/blog/stop-trying-to-be-confidentAre you making decisions for other people in your career? https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/weekly-rewrites-2-are-you-making-decisions-for-other/id1538589146?i=1000566485119Making bold career moves without certainty with Dr Parth Shah https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/making-bold-career-moves-without-certainty-with-dr/id1538589146?i=1000515954033Contextualizing the Impostor “Syndrome” by Feenstra et al - https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.575024/fullPrevalence, Predictors, and Treatment of Impostor Syndrome: a Systematic Review by Bravata et al -https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7174434/Feel like a fraud by Kirsten Weir - https://www.apa.org/gradpsych/2013/11/fraud -There's a Surprising Upside to Imposter Syndrome, Research Shows by David Nield - https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-found-there-is-an-upside-to-imposter-syndrome-at-workHow to Overcome Imposter Syndrome by Jeremy Sutton PhD - https://positivepsychology.com/imposter-syndrome-tests-worksheets/ These weekly episodes are companions to my newsletter, The Weekly Rewrite. Out Wednesdays, it’s filled with content that will help you create a work/life that works. Get The Weekly Rewrite here: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewrite Get in touch with Monique:Web: www.rewriterewrite.com/contactInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/ The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
20. Weekly Rewrites #3: Creating a values-led career19:01This week we’re going back to basics to the very foundation of creating a work life that actually works: the values-led career.During the episode I explain:What it means to have a values-led careerValues alignment Vs values conflict at workWhat values-conflict looks and feels likeHow to identify and understand your core valuesI also share some questions to help you assess (and improve) your own values so you can create a more values-led career.Download your Values Identification exercise: https://bit.ly/3zPdEP6These weekly episodes are companions to my newsletter, The Weekly Rewrite. Out Wednesdays, it’s filled with content that will help you create a work/life that works. Get The Weekly Rewrite here: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteGet in touch:Web: www.rewriterewrite.com/contactInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/ The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
19. Weekly Rewrites #2: Are you making decisions for other people in your career?18:18Welcome to this week’s Weekly Rewrite edition of The Rewriters podcast.These are companion pieces to my newsletter 'The Weekly Rewrite' (out Wednesdays) - during the episodes I riff on the topic from that week's newsletter and share stories, additional resources and journal prompts.This week is Are you making decisions for other people in your career?During the episode I discuss:Where you are doing this in your career (without even realising it)Why it is the biggest thing holding you backThe importance of asking for what you wantWhy you shouldn’t be afraid of NoI share real life examples from my clients, friends and my own personal experience. I also share a journal prompt on the topic.Subscribe to The Weekly Rewrite: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteRead my article: ‘Are you making decisions for other people in your career?’Resources referenced:The Franklin Effect: https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-to-use-franklin-effect-to-repair-build-stronger-bonds.htmlConnect with Monique:Web: www.rewriterewrite.com/contactInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/ The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
18. Weekly Rewrites #1: Why career change isn't fickle17:34Welcome to the first ever ‘Weekly Rewrite’ edition of the podcast!In addition to the monthly long-form episodes, I’m releasing a weekly episode where I discuss the topic I wrote about in my newsletter and blog that week.This week’s Weekly Rewrite is Why Career Change isn’t Fickle.During the episode I share:Why career change isn’t fickleThe joy of making new mistakesHow to make new mistakes in the same jobHow to know if you actually are being fickleA journal prompt on the topicSubscribe to The Weekly Rewrite newsletter - https://www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteRead my written article ‘Why career change isn’t fickle' - https://www.rewriterewrite.com/blog/why-career-changes-arent-fickleResources referenced:Making bold career moves without certainty – with Dr. Parth ShahIntuitive career change and creating ‘the sweet life’ - with Sarah Potter: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/intuitive-career-change-and-creating-the-sweet-life/id1538589146?i=1000541203110KC Davis and Struggle Care: https://www.strugglecare.com/ Connect with Monique:Web: www.rewriterewrite.com/contactInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/ The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
17. Two questions that will change your life – with Monique Shaw23:33In today’s solo episode, I share two questions that will change your life (they’ve certainly changed mine!). This one is for all you high-achieving people pleasers out there.During the episode I share:How I learned to really listen to my needs (and meet them)Why self-trust is more important than self-confidenceThe moment I came closest to burnoutAnd of course… two questions that will change your lifeSupporting resources:Liz Gilbert on Glennon Doyle’s ‘We can do hard things’ podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/why-elizabeth-gilbert-disappeared-what-she-came-back-to-say/id1564530722?i=1000560690018About two-way prayer: http://womeninrecovery.blogspot.com/2014/04/two-way-prayer-part-of-our-aa-history.htmlWhat’s all this about journaling: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/style/journaling-benefits.html Rewrite Your Career Story - Monique's Group Coaching ProgrammeRewrite Your Career Story – Monique’s flagship group coaching programme begins again on 30th May 2022. This intimate and transformational programme is for anyone who is feeling stuck, underwhelmed or overwhelmed in their work and life and who needs to rewrite the way they live and work – together we’ll figure out what that looks like for you. Join the waitlist to receive the latest enrolment details: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/rycs-waitlistExplore the curriculum, price and client testimonials here: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/rewrite-your-career-storyConnect with Monique:Subscribe to The Weekly Rewrite: www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteWeb: www.rewriterewrite.com/contactInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/ The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
16. How to unhook from toxic productivity - with Monique Shaw48:57I’ve got a solo episode for you today and it’s all about – productivity! Over the next 50 minutes, I’m going to pick productivity apart… and then I’m going to show you how to be more productive.In the episode I cover:Our obsession with productivityThe problem with productivityToxic Vs Conscious productivityMy relationship with productivity – then and NOWHow to design your days for maximum impact, minimal depletion.I’ll also share the system I’ve developed to help you design your time to be more consciously productive – it’s called ‘The Rewrite Planner’. ‘The Rewrite Planner’ helps you to identify your unique energy cycle, categorise your tasks into 5 different activity types, and then map them to your energy cycle for maximum impact with minimal depletion.Download your copy of ‘The Rewrite Planner’ to start putting these concepts into practice in your own life: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/rewriteplannerWant to create more time wealth?Book a ‘Time Wealth for the Overworked’ career clinic with me and I’ll show you how to design a time management strategy that fits you and how you want to work.Find out more: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/career-clinicsRewrite Your Career Story with Monique:Join the Waitlist for the next ‘Rewrite Your Career Story’ group coaching programme and be the first to hear when enrolment opens again in May. Work alongside Monique to rewrite your career from the inside out and create work that works for you.Join the Waitlist: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/rycs-waitlistFind out more: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/rewrite-your-career-storyConnect with Monique:Subscribe to The Weekly Rewrite: www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteWeb: www.rewriterewrite.com/contact Instagram: @the_rewriters LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/Resources referenced during the episode:Article: When is productivity a dirty work? By Monique ShawThe Rewriters Podcast Episode 5 – How to maximise and conserve your time, with Monique Shaw and Episode 14 – Owning your personal brand at work, with Monique ShawThe Eisenhower Matrix – https://todoist.com/productivity-methods/eisenhower-matrixThe Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
15. Overcoming the need to know for sure – with Nicki Coe01:08:35Hello Rewriters - Happy International Women's Day and welcome to this month’s episode.Today I'm speaking with Nicki Coe - Marketing Strategist, Business Coach and Co-Founder of the marketing agency Luna & Lion.Nicki worked in corporate media for many years but always knew she wanted to work for herself someday. Although she was constantly coming up with business ideas and plans, nothing stuck – she was always stumped by not having all of the answers and all of the detail laid out before she began. It was only when she overcame the old story that success requires you to know where you want to go that she was able to embrace and trust the pull of the next step, rather than planning for the big end destination. Ultimately, it was through this letting go of control and the need to know for sure that led to her creating two successful and fulfilling businesses.During our conversation Nicki shares her thoughts on:Overcome the need to know for sure in your careerStarting a business with your best friendUsing your emotions and feelings in goal & business planningResources discussed:Risk Forward: the Rewards of Not Knowing | Victoria Labalme | TEDxSantaBarbara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6NIY56S0AThe Source | Dr. Tara Swart: https://www.taraswart.com/the-source/ Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing (Tuckman's Model): https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_86.htm Connect with Nicki CoeConnect on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nicki_coe/?hl=enExplore more: https://nickicoe.com/Find out more about Luna+LionConnect on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lunaandlionagency/?hl=enExplore more: https://lunaandlion.com/Connect with MoniqueGet ‘The Weekly Rewrite’ for tips and stories about creating a work+life that works: www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewrite.My flagship 6-week group programme Rewrite Your Career Story starts again Monday 30th May 2022 – join the wait list here: www.rewriterewrite.com/rycs-waitlistConnect on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/the_rewriters/?hl=en and LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/The Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.
14. Owning your personal brand at work - with Monique Shaw20:27Hello Rewriters!In today’s solo episode, I’m discussing one of my favourite works topics – personal brand – and why I believe it is fundamental for creating a career that works for you.In this episode I cover:What a personal brand is and why it’s so importantWhat a personal brand ISN’T3 personal brand ‘myths’My simple formula for rewriting your personal brandI also share how I came across the power of personal brand quite unexpectedly in my career and then used it to get noticed (and promoted) at work for doing the things I loved most. Personal brand helped me to rewrite my career story multiple times and ultimately allowed me to create and launch my own business.Want help rewriting your personal brand?Rewrite’s Career Clinics are now available for booking. Work 1:1 with Monique Shaw on your biggest career challenges: defining your personal brand, getting career clarity and creating more time-wealth. Find out more: https://www.rewriterewrite.com/career-clinicsConnect with Monique:Subscribe to The Weekly Rewrite: www.rewriterewrite.com/get-the-weekly-rewriteWeb: www.rewriterewrite.com/contactInstagram: @the_rewritersLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/moniquelshaw/Resources referenced during the episode:Rewrite Career Clinics – Personal Brand, Career Clarity, Time WealthRewrite Your Career Story coaching programmeArticle: The power of personal brand at work – by Monique ShawThe Rewriters Podcast Episode 13 – DIY PR & The Art of Self Promotion, with Pippa GouldenThe Rewriters Podcast Episode 5 – How to maximise and conserve your time, with Monique ShawThe Rewriters is written, produced and presented by Monique Shaw. Original artwork by Ciana Perry and original music by DJ Cinnamon.