The Parenting Cipher
In this episode of The Parenting Cipher, Genie shares her experience with extreme sleep deprivation and what it took to get the help she needed to take care of herself. Genie’s story reveals how overthinking and guilt can lead to sleep deprivation, a problem that many of us suffer from whether we realize it or not. Sleep is so important to our well-being and ability to make good decisions, so find out how to get better sleep in this episode of The Parenting Cipher.
Host of The Parenting Cipher, Genie Dawkins is a single mother of four and has over 25 years of being a parent advocate of special needs children. In addition to obtaining her Certification in Integrative Health Coaching, Lateefa holds an M.S. in Non-Profit Management and a B.S. in Social Sciences. Genie is the best-selling author of two books “Not My Child: Navigating Your Child’s Learning Difficulties with IEP’s and Education Resources” and a recent release “The Joyful Family Planner”. As an educational advocacy specialist, her mission is to help parents achieve a balanced life and overcome inevitable challenges both at school and home in a way that empowers parents and children.
Insight from this episode:
- What is sleep deprivation? What are its potential causes and symptoms?
- The effects that sleep deprivation can have on your executive functioning skills and overall well-being.
- Genie personal story with sleep deprivation and how it changed her life.
- Connections between “grind culture” and sleep deprivation
- Tips to break free from the grind culture, get more rest, and show yourself some love.
Quotes from the show:
- “You are at the last stages of sleep deprivation, where your body gives out and you’re hospitalized.” –Genie Dawkins quoting her doctor The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
- “Sleep deprivation doesn’t have to be like my cautionary tale. Sleep deprivation is like literally when you’re not getting 7-9 hours of sleep consistently.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
- “One of the things that is affected by not sleeping is your ability to make good choices.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
- “Your body heals and resets when it's resting, when it’s sleeping.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
- “Taking a nap is a social justice movement.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
- “We shorten our longevity with the grind culture that’s based on a system that didn’t care, didn’t care about us. So show yourself some love.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
- “Nothing is ever perfect. Just keep trying.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #5
Website: Genie Dawkins
Facebook: Genie Dawkins
LinkedIn: Genie Dawkins
The Parenting Cipher
Website: The Parenting Cipher
Patreon: The Parenting Cipher
Itunes: The Parenting Cipher
Spotify: The Parenting Cipher
Youtube: The Parenting Cipher
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry.