The Newbie Guide to Sweden Podcast
An unexpected message from Sheona
Today's episode is... well...slightly different, due to an unexpected Migrationsverket-related incident.
Not everything about being an expat is fun and our team is personally currently experiencing a not-so-fun part of being a Newbie in Sweden.
But this is also a reality of being an expat and something we wanted to share with you!
The GOOD NEWS is that the Newbie Guide to Sweden Podcast will return in May. Until then, why not use this extra time to write us a review or share us with another Newbie?
Have you completed our Salary Survey? In 2017, data showed that immigrants tend to be paid lower salaries than their Swedish counterparts - we want to see if that is still the case! It takes 2mins to complete: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScep8Bp3jlv-MzCh7dL8injGtioWSLotH5On6xB-_eG6DncPA/viewform
Learn more about us!
The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetosweden
Host, Sheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheona
View all episodes
7. 01x06 Newly arrived in Sweden - first impressions and studenten!57:34It's a week until Swedish Midsommar and it is also the final episode of Season 1 of The Newbie Guide to Sweden podcast - all about life in Sweden as an expat!Thank you for listening to the podcast so far, there will be plenty more expat personal stories and interviews during season 2!To wrap up this season, I talk to a freshly-arrived Newbie, who also happens to be my good mate. Enjoy hearing Josh's first impressions of Sweden, including work cultures, friendliness, snus, lös godis and Swedish pronunciations. We've all been here.We also briefly discuss Studenten and the bizarre traditions surrounding this rite of passage for teenage Swedes!Big ups for Andrew from episode 1 taking on the Vätternrunden. More info on that can be found at: https://vatternrundan.se/en/Learn more about our guests!Josh Philp on instagram: @Joshua__philpAndrew Colley: @andrewcolleyLearn more about us!The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetoswedenHost, Sheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheonaJoin the conversation via our Instagram or Facebook group
6. 01x05 Swedish Summer Secrets - some of nature's delights46:00It's officially Summer and time to get thinking about your Swedish summer destinations during this precious, short-lived but beautiful season!Sheona shares some of the top destinations around Sweden that are perfect for summer, so you can add them to your list!Places mentioned:Västkusten - or The West Coast, including Smögen, Tjörn, Klädesholmen, Falkenberg and Marstrad.Österlen and the beaches Stenshuvud Nationalpark and Sandhammaren.GotlandÖlandHögakusten, with hikes including Skuleberget and SlåttdalsskrevanSweden's highest mountain, Kebnekaise.Stockholm Archipelago.We meet fellow Newbie Alexandra, who hosts her own spiritually minded kayaking and walking experiences in the Stockholm Archipelago - she's also lived in a cabin in the woods by herself for 7 years!! She's a beautiful soul.Learn more about our guests!Alexandra's Instagram: @naturespiritswedenAlexandra's Airbnb link to her tours: HERE!Learn more about us!The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetoswedenHost, Sheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheonaJoin the conversation via our Instagram or Facebook group
5. 01x04 Gothenburg pt I: a history, accents, Cafe Molokini and Volvo!57:10Fasten your 3-point seatbelts, we are heading West in today's episode! Göteborg (or Gothenburg) is a brilliant city for so many reasons, mainly because so many wonderful Newbies call it home. In today's episode, we are meeting two of them: Veronica from Cafe Molokini and Vishnu from Volvo Group. We also chat a little bit about Gothenburg's history and touch on the hilarity that is the Gothenburg accent - possibly the jolliest of all Swedish accents! Thanks for listening!Learn more about our guests!Cafe Molokini insta: @molokinicafe Cafe Molokini web: molokinicafe.se Vishnu on LinkedIn: LinkedIn.comVolvo Camp X: volvogroup.comLearn more about us!The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetoswedenHost, Sheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheonaJoin the conversation via our Instagram or Facebook group
3. 01x03 Let's get sustainable!50:54Welcome back to our third episode of The Newbie Guide to Sweden Podcast - your friendly, potty-mouthed buddy to help you survive Sweden as an expat. In today's episode, we are diving into Sweden's favourite thing ever - sustainability! We go through the emotional rollercoaster that is sorting your trash as a newbie in Sweden, to discovering which of Sweden's cities is the #1 in sustainability. We also have a wonderful and insightful chat to researcher (and Newbie) Francisco "Fran" Vilaplana, who is an expert in the field. We also share some tips on how to make your life more 'circular' and we even briefly chat about waffles, Kalles Kaviar and pole-vaulting! What's not to love?!Learn more about our guests!Fran Vilaplana on Twitter: @GrupVilaplanaFran Vilaplana on the KTH website: kth.se/profile/franvilaLearn more about us!The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetoswedenHost, Sheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheonaJoin the conversation via our Instagram or Facebook group
2. 01x02 Tours and Toilets and Tips - oh my!43:00In our second episode we dive into Gamla Stan and select parts of its rich history. This medieval town within Stockholm has seen a lot of sh*t - literally!We also learn about Vasaloppet and meet fellow Newbie, Fer Donoso, who is a certified tour-guide in Stockholm!What are your favourite parts of Gamla Stan? Join the discussions via The Newbie Guide to Sweden Instagram and Facebook group!Learn more about our guests!Fer Donoso Tours website: ferdonosotours.com Fer Donoso Tours on Insta: @ferdonosotoursLearn more about us!The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetoswedenSheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheona
1. 01x01 Välkommen Newbies!47:27Helloooooooo Newbies and Oldbies! Welcome to The Newbie Guide to Sweden Podcast - the podcast about all things Sweden, for Newbies by Newbies! In our first episode, we're diving into all things Nynäshamn, beer, winter survival tips and ice-swimming! Brace yourselves...Join the discussions via The Newbie Guide to Sweden instagram and Facebook group!Learn more about our guests!Nynäshams Ångbryggeri on insta: @nynashamns_angbryggeriAndrew Colley on insta: @andrewcolleyAstrud Tuck on insta: @luminastroLearn more about us on!The Newbie Guide to Sweden on insta: @thenewbieguidetoswedenSheona Urquhart Smångs on insta: @mysheonaNeed some friendly advice or guidance living in Sweden? www.thenewbieguide.se