The Kid Code Playground
Transform the Burden of a Secret, Part 1
Today I’m pleased to introduce to you, Gina Nelson—an artist, writer, Energy Healing Therapist and Body Mind Counselor but most importantly, she is a mother of a 13-year-old son.
When Gina was experiencing some of her most debilitating and hidden experiences, she saw her need to become the Secret Keeper. Gina’s role is to educate and empower others to defuse and transform the energy of secrets so that each person has more energy and permission for their much-deserved joy seeking.
She hopes concepts shared during this and the second part of the podcast can create more self-compassion for parents and offer fun, useful tools for their children. Together we can teach ourselves and our loved ones to move away from shame and isolation and towards connection.
There are other things to do with secrets besides suffer! Gina offers us simple, but profound ways to dissolve the stressful energy around secrets.
4:20: S is for self-compassion.
5:50: E is for everybody has secrets—we can normalize it.
5:31: C is for connecting (with your own children to teach them it’s okay to have a secret and they don’t have to tell it).
7:40: R is for relationship to secrets (things you can do in that relationship to help yourself).
10:03: E is for energy feeling (starting to feel it).
Listen to next week’s podcast to learn more about dissolving the stress around secrets!
Gina’s upcoming book is called The Energy of Secrets, Ease the Burden of Your Secrets Without Having To Share Them.
Gina has also illustrated a book: We have created a picture book that is entertaining, teaches children how to express and deal with negative feelings, and demonstrates to parents how to assist their children in this process. A Garbage Can Day is the story of a boy who has a very bad day and thinks that he'll be sad forever. Playing the Garbage Can Day Game is the way he learns that he can choose another way. You can too! Come along on Jake's journey as he discovers the amazing power he has to recognize, share and learn how to change his emotions. One unexpected reaction from most adults with whom we have shared this story is that it seems to touch the child within and evoke memories long forgotten and often, unresolved. Many expressed that they wished a book like this had been available to them as children. We hope our story touches your heart.
Contact Gina at:
View all episodes
124. Turning Trying Times Into Fun Times11:01When things start to go south, reverse thinking and make it into a fun adventure. Your kids will love you for it. And you’ll be pretty happy with yourself too!
123. Outsourcing Your Thinking03:36If the news, the neighbors or the nuts do our thinking for us, we’re easily manipulated and can’t connect the dots we need to, to make good decisions, and to feel at ease.Remember to spread the love.
122. Dancing04:08Did you know that dancing, even when you’re not “good” at it has benefits that outweigh even an exercise bike…among other things! Get your kids to dance, here’s some ideas.Show NotesMaybe never. I don’t know.
121. Playing Is For You Too!03:38Did you know that playing can help relationships and improve brain function? And it does so much more for us!
120. Singing’s A Savior04:39Even if you’re not good at it, there are so many benefits to singing, it’s like a magic pill. It doesn’t just make you feel good, it even helps fight infections, who’d have thought? Want to have a sing-along with your family tonight?Show NotesNot yet.
119. Enough Of The Positive Blah, Blah, Blah05:10Even if we don’t feel like being positive, even if we’re tired of everyone preaching about it, even if it seems hard to achieve—and we’d like to stomp on the idea when we’re feeling grouchy…research shows that people who have three positive thoughts to one negative thought have a better chance of human flourishing.That is a fascinating, simple, and inspiring formula for human flourishing.Show NotesSorry, nope.
118. Positive-Obsessing03:42How would your life change if your brain produced feel-good hormones when you are positive-obsessing vs. how you feel when you are negative-obsessing and producing stress chemicals?How can you become positive-obsessed?Spread the love.Show NotesSorry.
117. You’re Smarter Than You Think03:32Listen to learn a simple question to boot us out of a ‘thinking-box’ we can sometimes gravitate towards. This question kicks us into solution-oriented thinking and out of problem-obsessing!Remember to spread the love.Show NotesNot yet.
116. Resolutions Reconfigured04:58Asking a simple question can stop an unwanted desire. Studies show that with no resistance, we act on 70% of our desires and with resistance, we act on 17% of them. Show Notes:This article demonstrating percentages on resistance was created by Hugo Alberts (Ph.D.) and Lucinda Poole (PsyD). https://pro.positivepsychology.com/wp-content/uploads/Increasing-Self-Control-through-Repeated-Practice-2.pdf?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=%5B5-Bullet+Friday%5D+The+Secrets+of+Self-Control%3A+Overcoming+Instant+Gratification+%28%2B+Science-Based+Tool%29&utm_campaign=%5B5-Bullet+Friday%5D+Instant+Grat