California Congressman Ted Lieu talks about the state of AI governance
In this episode of the TechTank Podcast, co-host Nicol Turner Lee speaks to Congressman Ted (D-CA) about these and other areas concerning AI regulation, oversight, and guidance in the United States. They also discuss how AI’s regulation from other countries will influence national policymaking.
View all episodes
17. Will Ending the Affordable Broadband Connectivity Program (ACP) Halt Digital Equity?33:08Currently benefiting over 23 million households, the ACP has provided affordable broadband to those in need. But in recent weeks, it may be abruptly eliminated, and questions arise on whether it will hamper existing efforts to close the digital divide. On this episode of Tech Tank, co-host Nicol Turner Lee speaks with Colin Rhinesmith, the Founder and Director of Digital Equity Research Center, and Fallon Wilson, the Founder and Director of Black Churches for Digital Equity.
16. The Future of Quantum Computing24:15In this week's episode of the TechTank Podcast, co-host Darrell West delves into the future and capabilities of powerful quantum computers. To aid in comprehending these revolutionary machines, Darrell West is joined by Joseph Keller, Visiting Fellow in Foreign Policy at the Strobe Talbott Center for Security, Strategy, and Technology. Tune in for a highly informative conversation.
15. What is the future of children’s online data privacy in the U.S.?50:37In the latest episode of the TechTank Podcast, cohost Nicol Turner Lee speaks with Jennifer Huddleston, a Technology Policy Research Fellow at the CATO Institute, and Christopher Wood, the Executive Director and Co-Founder of LGBT Tech Partnership & Institute. Together, they delve into the complexities surrounding regulatory efforts and explore the evolving landscape of how our kids interact with technology. They also offer their predictions on what may be next for Congress, states, and other stakeholders in the policy debates over children’s privacy.
14. The State of State Technology Policy28:22In this week's episode of the TechTank podcast, co-hosts Nicol Turner Lee and Darrell West kickoff 2024 with an insightful conversation on the state of tech policy with returning guests, MattPerault, Director of the Center on Science & Technology Policy at UNC-Chapel Hill, and ScottBrennen, the Head of Online Expression Policy at the Center on Technology Policy at UNC-Chapel Hill. Together, they discuss the intricacies of state policy within the dynamic and ever-evolving tech landscape, exploring key challenges and potential solutions that shape the future oftechnology governance.
13. Tech Outlook for 202439:21In this episode of the TechTank Podcast Co-host Darrell West and Nicol Turner Lee discuss what lies ahead for tech policy in 2024 and what people should watch for from Congress, the Biden Administration, state and local government, and court cases. They cover topics such as AI, infrastructure implementation, problems of bias, safety, and transparency, and competition policy. A number of initiatives are pending, which likely will make the coming year an exciting time for technology policy.
12. Generative AI, parents, and teens40:57In this week's episode of the TechTank podcast, co-host Nicol Turner Lee is joined by StephenBalkam, founder and CEO of FOSI, and Kara Sundby, Senior Director at KANTAR, to delve intothe findings of a new report focused on how teens and parents interact with generative AI.
11. How AI Will Affect the 2024 Elections32:46In this episode of The TechTank Podcast, co-host Darrell West engages in a conversation withElaine Kamarck, the Founding Director of the Center for Effective Public Management, and aSenior Fellow in Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution. Together, they explore thetransformative impact of AI on the political landscape and explore what lies ahead for theupcoming election.
10. A conversation with Congresswoman Yvette Clarke (D-NY) on AI accountability and election integrity33:04In this episode of the #TechTank podcast, co-host Nicol Turner Lee talks with CongresswomanYvette D. Clarke about her prior and current legislative directives focused on AI regulation, andthe urgency given the explosion of generative AI systems. The Congresswoman is a SeniorMember of both the House Energy and Commerce Commission, and the House Committee onHomeland Security.
9. From The TechTank Archives: Taylor Lorenz on Gen Z, Influencer Culture, and the Future of Social Media33:45From December 13 2021: How have teens, the most tech-savvy population of all, been navigating the internet, rife with the spread of misinformation, algorithmic discrimination and more? On TechTank, Samantha Lai will be joined by Taylor Lorenz, technology reporter for the New York Times and affiliate at the Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, to discuss how young people use the internet and why it matters.