Science at the Movies
Minisode: Thor The Dark World
It's time for episode 2 of our Mission Catch Up miniseries and we're going full Marvel!
We're talking gravitational anomolies, soul forges (aka quantum field generators) and women in science..again!
View all episodes
4. They Cloned Tyrone01:38:06This absoulte jem came out on Netflix recently and it has everything we love about a sci-fi comedy nancy drew in the mystery machine with gangsters, pimps and ho's. Instant classic! We're back on clone science and memory downloads with a touch of what is conciousness. But most of all, it's a tumble down an MK Ultra rabbit hole, the bleak and crazy world of secret government experiments and that time they thought mind reading could be a thing. 'Let's get into Blockchain'TikTok: @scienceatthemoviesInstagram: @scienceatthemoviesEmail: email@example.comRecommendations:Behind the Bastards Podcast on MK UltraAmerican Scandal Podcast on Tuskagee Siphylus Study
Minisode: Baby Geniuses28:34i will never look at a baby in the same way again for the rest of my life
3. The Abyss01:33:31This episode is as packed and chaotic as the movie itself, due to Abi and Freda being exhausted from bootlegging and Freda being in an crisis of science faith. Anyways, we finally get to discuss Oceangate. Also, offshore drilling hab(itats), underwater nuclear testing and breathing liquid oxygen strongly features. Finally, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio never felt the need to shorten her name.*****Some stuff you might be interested inInterview with Joseph B Keller about underwater nuclear testing: https://www.ams.org/notices/200407/fea-keller.pdfProduction hell of The Abyss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RyLikHFh78Liquid breathing: https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2021/08/can-humans-breathe-liquid-like-in-the-abyss/
Minisode: Rollerball (The worse version)41:48You know those movies that you watch, where they are just sooooo bad, they end up being good? This isn't one of them.Welcome to this series minis: So bad it's good? This is episode 2 and we're seriously regretting this miniseries. Don't watch it, you don't need to waste 90 minutes of your life. Listen to us instead!
2. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension01:41:41Is this the greatest movie we've ever done? Can someone find Freda a Quarry, some rope and Perfect Tommy? Peter Weller makes bowties and glasses cool af!This movie is a glorious journey through madness with some well thought out science! Yes, the science is not terrible! In fact, it's pretty good. As far as cars driving through mountains into the 8th dimension goes...'Yes on one, no on two'TikTok: @scienceatthemoviesInstagram: @scienceatthemoviesEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgSome Reading:Moving through matter with Buckaroo Banzai by Cary I SneiderBuckaroo Banzai Press Kit
Minisode: The Adventures of Pluto Nash38:24You know those movies that you watch, where they are just sooooo bad, they end up being good? This isn't one of them. Welcome to this series minis: So bad it's good? This is episode 1 and we regret it already. Don't watch it, you don't need to waste 90 minutes of your life. Listen to us instead!
1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind01:33:29We're back! Back with another Spielberg alien film, this time Close Encounters of the Third Kind. We are derailed at several points by conspiracy theorists, especially this one commenter called Daisy. Eric wasn't there to protect us. Bob Balaban returns to Science at the Movies. We talk about mental health, music, and the fact that we are both over Einstein.
The Girl with all the Gifts: ABI AND FREDA UNCUT02:02:27It's our week between seasons and so we are re-releasing an old episode for you, uncut. So please enjoy two unedited hours of us rabbiting on about Zombies, Zombie Ants, Zombie Babies and Miss Justineau plus an entire minute of silence where Abi tries to find an article. Stay tuned for an accompanying interview with an actual fungus expert who can correct our awkward ramblings.
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey01:36:25It's a big one! 2001 is an absolute classic of science fiction filmmaking. Kubrick gave us space like it hadn't been seen before and working with the legendary Arthur C Clarke brought us one of the most impressive depictions of hard scifi in the history of filmaking.Could have done without the gorillas and fetus though.Before you listen..yes i messed up the names!! I will forever hang my head in shame.Daisy, daisy..TikTok: @scienceatthemoviesInstagram: @scienceatthemoviesEmail: email@example.comFurther Reading:American Rocketry Pioneer One giant lie.. why so many people still think the moon landings were fakedArthur C Clarke 2001 trilogy of books and the short story Sentinel.