BONUS: A Hard Day's Night - (1964) Part One (Cardboard Cinema Club)
Heather and Adam have been holding out on you - only two Retrotube episodes so far this year, and the last one in April. What is the world coming to?
To go some way towards atoning for this, and while we prepare our next proper RetroTube episode, here's Heather appearing as a guest on Adam's sibling podcast, Cardboard Cinema Club, talking about their favourite subject, the Beatles' 1964 film, A Hard Day's Night.
It would be absolutely lovely if you would be so kind as to have a listen to some of the other episodes of Cardboard Cinema Club, and maybe even consider subscribing - there are some real corkers coming up... films from the 1930s all the way up to the present day.
In the meantime, I hope you enjoy our unabashed, unashamed Beatle geek-out - and stay tuned (though not in any literal sense) for part two!
Theme Music by Berlin Horse.
View all episodes
CCCP: Shaun of the Dead (2004) with Shannon Fay01:22:13BONUS: Another Halloweeny repost from Cardboard Cinema Club! Huazzah!We broach the 21st Century for the first time, as Adam is joined by actual real-life Canadian* Shannon Fay - author of Innate Magic and External Forces - to discuss the infinitely rewatchable horror-comedy (or comedy-horror), Shaun of the Dead.You can find Shannon on Twitter @ShannonLFay and buy her books in all the usual book-buying places.https://twitter.com/retro_tube [at least till Adam sorts a Cardboard Cinema Club twitter account]https://shows.acast.com/cardboard-cinema-clubemail: firstname.lastname@example.orgAnd if you enjoy this, why not have a listen to our sibling podcast, RetroTube, using your ears or related senses.Theme tune by Berlin Horse(*presumably standing in for a New Yorker - there's a movie production joke for you)
CCCP: An American Werewolf In London (1981) with Alex Pearson01:24:57BONUS: Cardboard Cinema Club has been sitting around not doing much for a wee bit (due to Adam being too busy for two podcasts), so for a bit of a Halloween bonus, here's the very first episode for anyone who missed it.In this exciting* first episode of Cardboard Cinema Club, Adam is joined by Alex Pearson to chat about the classic 1981 John Landis horror-comedy, An American Werewolf In London. A naked American man stole their balloons - and they never did get the £2 they were promised - but they've vowed to plough on regardless like the troupers they are.*not legally bindingFind Alex on Twitter @momentomaureen @deathcapdancinghttps://twitter.com/retro_tube [at least till Adam sorts a Cardboard Cinema Club twitter account]https://shows.acast.com/cardboard-cinema-clubemail: email@example.comWhy not have a listen to our sibling podcast, RetroTube Archive Television Podcast, about old telly and that.Theme tune by Berlin Horse
10. RETROTUBE OBSCURIOS: Apaches & The Finishing Line (1977) with Evelyn Mars01:25:15Content Warning: This is a chat about the strange and dark world of 1970s British Public Information Films, which deal with child safety, specifically the consequences of playing in farmyards and on railway lines, so there's discussion of fictional child deaths throughout.It's Halloween month, and this episode Adam is joined by the wonderful Evelyn Mars. Evelyn's an American born in the late 1980s, so what will she make of horrifying British Public Information Films of the 1970s?Instagram @thedevilsworkpodTikTok @thedevilsworkpodcasthttps://firstname.lastname@example.org://twitter.com/retro_tubehttps://shows.acast.com/retrotubeemail: email@example.comTheme Music by Adam himself, gosh
9. Give Us A Clue (1979-1980)01:21:24Third syllableRoundLong?Pipe - is it pipe?CylinderTelescope?TUBE! TUBE!Okay, second syllable.Boat.Rowing boat.ROW!Row-tubeRETROTUBE![audience applause]Please like, rate, review and share the podcast, otherwise Beryl will have a word. And whatever you do, no being silly.https://twitter.com/retro_tubehttps://shows.acast.com/retrotubeemail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTheme Music by Berlin HorseMime by Roff Joffley and Oscar Vambuselem
8. BONUS: Moondial (1988) with Audrey Violet01:18:14Due to unpopular demand, here's a bonus episode covering episodes 5 & 6 of Moondial (after we received complaints that we only covered 1-4) featuring the wonderful Audrey Violet (previously heard on the Escape Into Night and Cardboard Cinema Club: Celine & Julie Go Boating episodes*).Whereas Heather was a newbie to the world of Moondial, Audrey is an old hand - in fact, it's one of her favourite things ever. So who better to cover the rest of Moondial with? No one, that's who.You can find Auds Violet on Twitter @crowviolets, and in the podcasting world on her very own show, The Violet Ghost Train.Heather will be back next time, as we watch... well, something. It's a surprise.*1001 thanks to Iain of the All Of Time And Space for his recommendation of our little Parisian adventure towards the end of the Doctor Who Season 4 retrospective episode, it was a delightful surprise.
7. Moondial (1988)01:27:00It's time to take a trip to deepest rural Lincolnshire, and meet wise old Aunt Mary, jolly Mr World and lovely cuddly Miss Raven - not to mention Maggs the kindly gardener and Mrs Crump, the happiest cook in all the county. Yes, it's Moondial!It's a perfect excuse for Adam to bang on something tedious about his childhood, but will Heather find anything to enjoy about this tale of spooky tale of time-travelling children, or will it all be a big ol' yawn?Please like, rate, review and share the podcast, otherwise you'll get locked in a storeroom with nothing to do but polish your bottle.https://twitter.com/retro_tubehttps://shows.acast.com/retrotubeemail: email@example.comTheme Music by Berlin 'orse.I wanna take a leak but there's a policeman eying meHe's there every week, I wonder what his query can be.
6. The Muppet Show (1976-1980)01:12:21It's The Muppet Show, yaaaaaaaay! And also two of Heather's favourite things: short men and puppets. In the last episode, we featured two of show business's finest small men, Davy Jones and Steve Marriott. Well, hold onto your potatoes Dr Jones, for this episode we have THREE of show business's finest small men, from the worlds of music, comedy and measuring up to the height requirement for stormtroopers.But more importantly, we also meet The Muppets - a community of weird mutations who are so shunned by society that they're forced to perform humiliating sideshow acts just to survive. Luckily, the bleeding heart liberal elite (ie woke pampered celebrities like Rita Moreno) are on hand to try and lend this spectacle some kind of legitimacy. Something something snowflakes something something millennials.Ahem, sorry, I don't know what came over me.Please like, rate, review and share the podcast, otherwise Peter Sellers will get you.https://twitter.com/retro_tubehttps://shows.acast.com/retrotubeemail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTheme Music by Berlin Horse.
5. Pop Quiz (1984)01:16:23Well, RetroTube was almost on a roll, then Adam went and got bloomin' Covid and spent the two and a half weeks he COULD'VE been editing this episode instead lying around on the sofa watching films. Went The Day Well? and Train To Busan is quite the double bill.Anyway, after all the gloss and action of the last four episodes, courtesy of Heather, it's time for a dog-eared mid-80s quiz show whose set is made from old carboard boxes, glitter and disappointment - it's the reliably awkward Pop Quiz, featuring three of Heather's Short Faves, hooray. Please like, rate, review and share the podcast, otherwise Mike Read will sing an offensive song about you.https://twitter.com/retro_tubehttps://shows.acast.com/retrotubeemail: email@example.comTheme Music by Adam S. Leslie, Mr Berlin Horse.Correction: at one point, Adam describes Paul Jones as a 6 Music DJ. Paul Jones is, in fact, a BBC Radio 2 DJ - yes, he's *that* swanky. Sorry, Paul.
4. Star Trek - Series 1: This Side of Paradise (1967) (Part 2)53:18Spore blimey - it's part 2 of Adam and Heather's chat about Star Trek series 1, and this time they're looking at This Side of Paradise. Spock gets the girl, Bones gets the tonsils and Kirk gets the hump. Please like, rate, review and share the podcast, otherwise you'll be condemned to a life of perfect health and blissful happiness. What a nightmare!https://twitter.com/retro_tubehttps://shows.acast.com/retrotubeemail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTheme Music by Adam S. Leslie, aka Berlin Horse.James Baxter!