Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
How To Understand What Our Cells Say About Us with Dr. Jon Lieff
Today, Dr. Jon Lieff joins us to discuss a fascinating topic: cells' secret language. What are they saying? Why should we pay attention to their conversation? How are they communicating?
Dr. Jon Lieff is a neuro-psychiatrist, neuroscientist, author, and the Founder of Searching for the Mind. He is a pioneer in geriatric psychiatry; he built some of the first geriatric medical/psychiatry hospital units and the largest geriatric treatment network in New England. He graduated from Yale College with a B.A. in mathematics and holds an M.D from Harvard Medical School.
In this episode, we delve into a few of the main topics of Dr. Lieff's latest book, "The Secret Language of Cells." He explains some of the most complicated facts in layman's terms – how cells communicate with each other and how microbes can join the conversation and convince cells to do things. We also talk about the mind, what changes in our bodies when we are depressed, sick, or undergo prolonged stress, and Dr. Lieff's six conclusions of what we can do to preserve our health from a cellular perspective.
Tune in to Episode 134 of REJUVENAGING® to learn how cellular communication is changing our understanding of diseases and life itself.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What is a cell? And why are our cells so important? (4:31)
- How do cells communicate? (6:37)
- One of the earliest things a professor said in my first psychology class was "There's no such thing as the mind." Over the following decades, I've learned that that isn't necessarily the correct opinion. But, what is the mind? (16:37)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Dr. Lieff's first steps into science and how he got interested in cellular communication (7:48)
- Everything in biology is based on signaling (10:26)
- What happens in our body when we are depressed or under stress for prolonged periods (13:02)
- Six things we should be aware of to take proper care of our overall health (21:51)
- The best way to eliminate stress (27:36)
- Dr. Jon Lieff's website
- Book: Dr. Jon Lieff - The Secret Language of Cells: What Biological Conversations Tell Us About the Brain-Body Connection, the Future of Medicine, and Life Itself
Connect with Dr. Lieff:
Useful REJUVENAGING® Resources:
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser -Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place