Rejuvenaging with Dr. Ron Kaiser
Dr. Jackie: Couples Daring to Live Well with Illness
Are you or your partner living with life-threatening or chronic illness?
Our intellectual pursuits, our IQ, the success that we have in business or a successful long-lasting marriage can never prepare us for the traumatic experiences that we have. The diagnosis of an illness is always a shock, and we need the full support of our significant other.
The first thing that happens when somebody gets such news, is that the relationship becomes transactional and logistical – what doctors are you going to see, getting appointments, scheduling procedures or surgeries, focusing on treatment, etc. Therefore, the couples are so focused outside of themselves, and they miss the connection between them.
In today’s episode, I discuss with Dr. Jackie the ways you can reconnect with your spouse or partner so that you can make the experience a lot easier to endure.
Dr. Jackie Black is a Marriage Expert, Educator, and Board-Certified Coach, serving couples throughout the world that are facing life-threatening and chronic illness. She was named by Cosmo as one of their most beloved International Love Guru. Her experience on this subject is not only theoretical, but practical also, because she’s experienced hands-on having a husband fighting with and dying of cancer.
So, listen to Episode 27 of Rejuvenaging, to learn how to create the framework and the structure to restore having heart-centered conversations with the person you love.
Questions I ask:
- What does your work week look like? (02:14)
- How did you arrive at this as a specialty? (04:35)
- Is there any way that people can prepare themselves? (12:31)
- How do you determine success in working with the couples that need your services? (16:42)
- What age range are the couples you work with? (25:05)
In this episode, you will learn:
- The difference between being a therapist and being a coach. (07:44)
- How Dr. Jackie works with couples that have to deal with life-threatening, terminal illnesses. (09:30)
- The importance of having a support network. (18:04)
- The prognostic indicators of who’s going to be more or less successful with Dr. Jackie’s approach. (22:41)
- About the 3-Day Retreat Dr. Jackie is regularly organizing. (27:53)
Connect with Dr. Jackie:
Useful Rejuvenaging Resources:
- Website: https://www.thementalhealthgym.com/
- Book: Dr. Ron Kaiser - Rejuvenaging: The Art and Science of Growing Older with Enthusiasm
- Email: email@example.com
- TEDx Talk: Aging Enthusiastically to Make the World a Better Place