M13 - More about Personal Identity
Season 0, Ep. 13
Andrew talks with Rev. Ben Colahan about themes from s02e04 Who Are You? If you haven't already, listen to that episode before this one. Here's a link: https://shows.acast.com/reductio/s02e04-who-are-you
Episode Link for Sharing:
Reductio on Patreon:
Rate and Review us Please!
View all episodes
34. 34 - Andrew does Improv - Liberalism01:15:20A show called "Philosophy v. Improv" graciously had me on as a guest. This is actually my second appearance! I'll post the other one soon. In this one, appropo of recent episodes, we talk about political liberalism!Episode Link to Sharehttps://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/33-andrew-does-improv-liberalismLink to PvI pagehttps://philosophyimprov.com/pvi64-liberalism-linda-orr-andrew-lavin/
33. 33 - Are Animals Food?01:27:11A conversation with Robert Jones of CSU, Dominguez Hills about animal welfare/rights and the ethics of food. We also touch on experimentation and captivity and the legal status of animals.WARNING: has unbleeped curses and plenty of uncomfortable topics not appropriate for kids.Robert references John Sanbonmatsu, this is his personal webpage.With the aptly named "Ranch Hand" from BlueDot Sessions. Used under a CC BY-NC 4.0 license. Reductio is produced by Inverted Spectrum Media, a non-profit.www.patreon.com/reductio
32. 32 - Idealism part two52:22Note: this is part two. Listen to part one first!A Conversation with Michael Fitzpatrick on Idealism in Political Theory A.K.A Ideal Theory. It has come under attack in recent years and for good reason, but perhaps the target of these criticisms shouldn't be idealism, but should instead be people who aren't doing idealism well.Episode Link to Sharehttps://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/32-idealism-part-two
31. 31 - Idealism part one02:08:44A Conversation with Michael Fitzpatrick on Idealism in Political Theory A.K.A Ideal Theory. It has come under attack in recent years and for good reason, but perhaps the target of these criticisms shouldn't be idealism, but should instead be people who aren't doing idealism well.Episode Link to Sharehttps://shows.acast.com/reductio/31-idealism-part-one
30. 30 - The Veil of Ignorance01:22:05In which Andrew talks with Chris Freiman (of William and Mary) and Michael Fitzpatrick (of Stanford, De Anza College, and Menlo College) about one of the most famous political philosophers of the 20th Century: John Rawls. We also discuss a number of critiques one might bring against Rawls' system of thinking about justice.Episode Link to Share:https://shows.acast.com/reductio/30-the-veil-of-ignoranceChris Freiman's Book:Link to Taylor and Francis sitePodcasts mentioned:Hi-Phi NationThe Philosopher and the NewsElucidationsOverthinkOur Patreon if you want to help us keep paying our hosting billsPatreon Link
29. 29 - City Living01:12:16Photo Credit Andrew LavinQuill Kukla's book City Living: How Urban Spaces and Urban Dwellers Make One AnotherReductio on Patreon Throw us a buck!Link for Sharing
28. 28 - Climate Protests01:07:12Note about episode numbering: I've decided to start numbering each episode sequentially not including AudioSophia episodes. This is the 28th overall episode.Here is The Philosopher and the News. Check them out! They have some really insightful discussions on timely topics.Here is our Patreon if you want to drop us a buck a month to help keep the lights on.William Scheuerman's Paper: Political Disobedience in the Climate EmergencyA link to this episode for sharing: https://shows.acast.com/reductio/28-climate-protests
Spring 2023 Update04:52A little update on my life and the branching possible futures for Reductio. Thank you for your continued support and listening!
16. M16 - Are All Lives Equal?01:14:08A conversation with Carneades of Carneades.org about the new book he has released: Are All Lives Equal? Why Cost Benefit Analysis Values Rich Lives More and How Philosophy Can Fix It.Enjoy the conversation!Episode Link for Sharing:https://shows.acast.com/reductio/m16-are-all-lives-equal