5. Two wrongs don't make a right13:22This is an audio version of the latest VIDCAST from The Balance, looking at the Israel-Hamas war. This week, we look at the issues of justification, proportionality, and collective punishment - and how, very simply, two wrongs don't make a right. We also pay tribute to the family of Al Jazeera journalist Wael Dahdouh, whose family members were killed in an Israeli airstrike on Gaza.The video version of this podcast can be found here: https://youtu.be/ywmJG5Y7jgM
View all episodes
4. The terminology of war18:09This is an audio version of the latest VIDCAST from The Balance, looking at the Israel-Hamas war. In it we explore how terminology - particularly the word 'terrorist' - is being used politically, and the pressure being put on media to describe Hamas as 'terrorists'.
3. The "Unnamed BBC Presenter"38:08The story of an initially-unnamed BBC presenter - accused of paying a young person thousands of pounds for sexually explicit pictures - took on a life of its own this past week. It was equal parts shocking, unbalanced, engrossing, farcical, and unpleasant. And it raised a lot of questions about privacy, speculation, who knew what and when - and of course who the presenter actually was. This week on RE:Balance, Kamahl picks apart the facts of the story and the way it was reported, and speaks to Associate Professor of Sociology at Swansea University Dr. Ashley A. Frawley about the behaviour of all involved - from the accused to the accusers, the media, and the public on social media.LINKS:Ashley A. Frawley on twitter'The Carnival of Cancel Culture' by Ashley Frawley, 5 March 2023'Déjà vu, all over again' by Kamahl Santamaria, 13 July 2023Donate to The Balance ...
2. Mailbag17:51The Balance has been online for 10 days, and what a busy 10 days it's been! There's been plenty of feedback - from the supportive to the mildly abusive to the revelatory - and in this mailbag episode Kamahl shares the good and the bad, and answers questions which readers and listeners have had.
1. "My name is Kamahl Santamaria..."18:12On the first full episode of RE:Balance, Kamahl Santamaria reintroduces himself - a year after media reports of alleged 'inappropriate behaviour' ended his career. He talks about those allegations, the effect they had, and how the reporting of them has shaped his new venture, The Balance.
Coming soon…01:18Coming soon... RE:Balance, hosted by former Al Jazeera and TVNZ presenter Kamahl Santamaria.