Getting the Right Message Out at the Right Time with City of Lake Forest Jon Volzke
In This Episode…
This week, we talk to Jon Volzke from the City of Lake Forest. We talk about his work as a reporter that has helped him being a PR pro, media relations, live streaming, PR pro becoming gatekeepers, crisis plans, and more! Enjoy!
● [00:58] Are you a coffee or tea drinker?
● [01:28] What was one of your most memorable news stories?
● [03:05] What led you to switch from being a reporter to a PR pro?
● [03:52] How has being a reporter given you an advantage of being a PR pro?
● [04:52] Were there any disadvantages to being a reporter?
● [05:31] How did you overcome those disadvantages?
● [06:21] What was more difficult, investigating stories or answering questions from reporters?
● [09:54] What do you think PR pros do wrong when talking to reporters?
● [12:28] Do you think the future of media relations will be talking directly to your constituents through live streaming?
● [13:33] PR pros are becoming more of the gatekeepers?
● [14:21] Should future PR pros become video editors and audio editors?
● [15:45] The news agencies need their PR firm?
● [17:00] How do you think PR will change due to recent events?
● [18:41] Is being authentic and having the right content the future of PR?
● [20:09] Is it more difficult to get the right message out?
● [22:21] Do you think there is a cadence for not overwhelming people?
● [23:36] Has there been a bigger push to look at or update the crisis plan?
● [26:43] You did a crisis plan on the fly?
● [28:14] Do you think this pandemic will push the city and agencies for better collaboration?
● [29:20] Do you think there will be the death of physical collateral?
● [32:07] If you could the PR rep for anyone in history, who would it be?
● [32:58] Final Thoughts?
People and Companies, We Mentioned in the Show
● Jon Volzke was our guest today. Learn more about the City of Lake Forest.
Episode Length: 34:14
Thanks so much for tuning in. Join us again next week for another episode!
● Listen and subscribe to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcast, or your favorite podcast player for free!
● If you enjoyed this episode, leave us a review!
● If you want to get involved, leave us a comment!
● Visit us and give us a ‘like’ on our Facebook page!
● Follow us on Twitter.
Thanks for listening!