Out of the Box with Jonathan Russo
A dive into the undiscovered parallels between the historical and the contemporary.
View all episodes
2. Germany, Israel, & Gaza01:01:47In this episode, Jonathan welcomes back Dr. Prit Buttar as the two talk through connections and differences in World War II and today’s Gaza–Israel conflict. This episode contains mentions of sexual assault.
1. Gaslighting America (ft. Jeffrey S. Robbins)44:17On today's episode of Out of the Box with Jonathan Russo, Jonathan speaks with Jeffrey S. Robbins about the Republican party's gaslighting of America, the seemingly unsmearable reputation of Donald Trump, and "how the entire party has turned into a bunch of crybabies." They discuss how Republicans attempted to ruin the Clintons with Whitewater, Benghazi, and Monica Lewinsky, as well as how the "birther" Obama lies were a central plank of the Trump platform, yet when the truth of corruption and insurrection is turned on them, they cry "persecution."
17. To Besiege a City (ft. Dr. Prit Buttar)49:33Prit and Jonathan discuss Prit's latest release, To Besiege a City.
16. Ozempic, Obesity, and Self-Control (ft. Dr. Marion Nestle)38:01Marion Nestle, renowned food writer and professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health, joins Jonathan to talk about the latest craze of diet injections hitting the market.---Marion Nestle is Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health, Emerita, at New York University, in the department she chaired from 1988-2003 and from which she retired in September 2017. She is also Visiting Professor of Nutritional Sciences at Cornell. She is the author, co-author, or co-editor of fifteen books, several of them prize-winning, notably What to Eat; Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health; and Soda Politics:Taking on Big Soda (and Winning). Her most recent book is a memoir, Slow Cooked: An Unexpected Life in Food Politics (2022). She is working on an updated and thoroughly revised edition of What to Eat for Picador Press (currently scheduled for March 2025).She blogs almost daily at www.foodpolitics.com, where she is writing about these very issues. Read Marion’s blog on obesity drugs here: https://www.foodpolitics.com/2023/10/the-new-obesity-drugs-a-threat-to-the-food-industry.She has received many awards and honors: In 2011, Michael Pollan ranked her as the #2 most powerful foodie in America (after Michelle Obama), and Mark Bittman ranked her #1 in his list of foodies to be thankful for. She is the recipient of the 2023 Edinburgh Medal for Science and Humanities.
15. The Frontrunners of the Republican Debates (ft. Jonathan Davis)37:42Jonathan Russo talks to Jonathan Davis about the current status of the Republican candidates and what may be motivating some of their policies.
14. Chinese Investments and American Manufacturing (ft. James Stuber)43:47Jonathan is joined by our resident China expert, James Stuber, to discuss the Chinese Communist Party and how American investors are financing the manufacturing dominance and theft of intellectual property as well as funding the Chinese military. James also discussed his and the Coalition for a Prosperous America's legislative solutions to address this issue.