One Step Beyond
Ep. 34: Having a Hemorrhage
For this episode, the last in Series 1 of One Step Beyond, we flip the script, and allow regular host Tony Fletcher to be interviewed by guest host Paula Lucas about his recent brain hemorrhage - and how lucky he feels to have fallen into the small percentage of people who get to walk away unscathed. Paula asks the questions surely pounding away in the back of your mind (ouch!), like:
- How did the hemorrhage come about?
- Is it true that a hemorrhage manifests as your 'worst headache ever'?
- Is it true that 'your worst headache ever' is like 'your biggest migraine on Motörhead'?
- Is every hemorrhage caused by an aneurysm, and if not, what's the difference
- What is the difference between a subachnaroid hemorrhage and an intracerebral hemorrhage?
- Where does hyponatremia and hypertension fit into this?
- Does there have to be a triggering incident?
- How does it feel to go over 48 hours without caffeine?
- What is an angiogram? And how does it differ from a CT (or Cat) scan?
- And can anyone other than a neurosurgeon pronounce the words "Perimesencephalic non-aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage" without getting tongue-tied?
Actually, a few of those questions were not asked during the interviews, which is why the answers are given above!
Seriously - because this was serious - we ask and we attempt to answer this question: does a healthy and active, even athletic lifestyle invite a hemorrhage, or does it make it more likely we can survive one?
At the end of this Episode, Tony says farewell to One Step Beyond - for now - as he launches The Jamming! Fanzine Podcast and you get to hear the trailer. Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts or via https://shows.acast.com/the-jamming-fanzine-podcast
Or, find One Step Beyond on social media at:
Instagram is OneStepBeyondPodcast
Facebook is One Step Beyond with Tony Fletcher
Twitter is OneStepBeyondP1