Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah - The Sex Lives of African Women
Trigger warning: this episode contains brief references to sexual abuse and trauma.
With its eye-catching title, bold ambition, and cover that simply cannot be ignored, The Sex Lives of African Women is set to get temperatures sizzling this summer. Join Codd as she meets with its author, the writer Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah, to discuss womanhood, writing, Africa and, ahem, SEX.
The extended version of the show contains ‘Sh*t I Wish I’d Known’ from Nana’s perspective as an author, story-collector and feminist activist. How does she approach interviews and transcripts? What advice would she give to other African writers aiming to publish? And what's the one question she wishes somebody would ask her? Hear all about it on the extended NFP cut, for Patreon subscribers at Silver Nib level and up. Join in at www.patreon.com/join/nonficpod
Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah is a Ghanaian writer, public speaker and feminist activist, working as Director of Communications and Media for the Association for Women’s Rights in Development. In early 2009, with Malaka Grant, she co-founded the award-winning blog: Adventures From the Bedrooms of African Women, as a space to focus on African women, sex and sexualities.
Her writing has been published in the Guardian, openDemocracy, and Essence.
Link to transcript of this episode here (Google doc)
People, Organisations, and Works Mentioned
- Association for Women's Rights in Development link: https://www.awid.org/
- Farafina Trust: http://farafinatrust.org/about-us/about-farafina-trust/
- Dorothy Koomson: https://twitter.com/DorothyKoomson
- Robert Caskie, Nana's agent: https://twitter.com/rcaskie1
- Sharmaine Lovegrove, Dialogue Books Founder: https://twitter.com/SharLovegrove
- It Wasn’t Exactly Love: Stories from the Farafina Trust Creative Writing Workshop 2012 https://farafinabooks.com/books-store/it-wasnt-exactly-love
- The Pot And Other Stories https://www.femrite.org/the-pot-and-other-stories/
Podcasts and Books from Byrne and Codd's Chat:
Today in Focus podcast
The Last Archive podcast
Ronan Farrow, Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
Emma Byrne, Swearing Is Good For You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language
Annabelle Sami, Llama Out Loud!
Tim Guest, My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru
Find Us Online
- Patreon: www.patreon.com/nonficpod
- Bookshop: www.uk.bookshop.org/shop/nonficpod
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/nonficpod
- Ko-Fi: ko-fi.com/nonficpod
- Producer: Georgie Codd
- Guest: Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah
- Assistant Producer: Beatrice Bazell
- Composer: Mike Wyer
Brought to you by author and publishing rockstar Georgie Codd and author and broadcaster Emma Byrne, NonFicPod is your home for the latest nonfiction must-reads. Our premium podcast, Sh*t I Wish I'd Known teaches you the lessons that we (and our guests) have learned about writing - and life.