Moving Beyond Your Tribe with Torund Bryhn
17. Expert Corner: Anne Steenstrup-Duch - Building Bridges Through Layered Communication
Communication is one of the most crucial elements of the world we live in today. In order to amplify our message in a clear, concise, and well thought out manner, it’s always beneficial to have a group of intelligent individuals driving the meaning home and creating lasting impact in the minds of the public.
My guest today is one who has carved out a career to defy and break through the barriers that are so often keeping the community from receiving much-needed information on topics within the scientific field. Anne Steenstrup-Duch works as a Communications Director at one of the largest independent research companies across all of Europe, ‘Sintef', and is also an active contributor to further developing research for clean energy that is built to be environmentally conscious and sustainable.
In this episode, we discuss some of the work Anne has undertaken on the fake snow campaign throughout Norway, what inspired her to become a better communicator with the likes of prominent politicians, researchers and scientists, and what she has learned through the process of regularly maintaining and contributing to the ‘Sintef' blog.
To learn more, tune in to Episode 17 of Moving Beyond Your Tribe!
Some Questions I Ask:
- Could you talk a bit about your background within science and how you obtained a communications role? (2:10)
- What did you learn from the work you did on the fake snow campaign? (9:37)
- How do you tackle the process of inciting change, particularly as so many people out there are too stubborn to listen to a scientific perspective? (10:45)
- How do you create content that creates a bridge between dense scientific information and the public’s comprehension of it? (20:52)
- How would you define ‘Science Communication’? (24:20)
- What are your thoughts on Covid-19 and how it has affected the layers of communication within your industry? (32:18)
- How do you create credibility within your company and separate yourself from the false information that so many people are believing surrounding the Coronavirus? (34:53)
- What advice would you give to someone wanting to reach out to the scientific community and branch outside of their own tribe? (36:20)
- Do you have any ‘life hacks’ that you can share with my listeners? (37:37)
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How climate change and emotion impacted the development of the fake snow campaign at ‘Sintef’ (4:01)
- The layers that are present within science communication roles & Why Anne places emphasis on transparency within her work (6:46)
- Anne’s insights into how her marketing is adapted to suit the target markets her company is trying to get through to (11:38)
- Why Anne values quality readers when it comes to blogging (13:18)
- What inspired the creation of the ‘Sintef’ blog (15:00)
- How Anne helps the public accept and understand science (25:02)
- Anne’s explanation of ‘OSHA’ wind research & How she brought prominent politicians and researchers together to increase its visibility (26:07)
- How Covid-19 has increased scientists’ ability to cooperate across borders (33:57)
Connect With Torund Bryhn:
Connect With Anne Steenstrup-Duch: