Let Me Introduce You with Jane Milton
Let Me Introduce You to Marlena Spieler, the Food Writer , Broadcaster and All Round Cheer Leader for Delicious Tasting Food.
Let Me Introduce you to Marlena Spieler, the food writer who started to chat with me one day on a train from London to Bristol , and then encouraged me to join the Guild of Food Writers .
Her interest and curiosity about food has seen her write on Jewish food and culture, potatoes, barbecuing or 'grilling' as she would say,
and she wrote the deliciously titled 'Grilled Cheese- 50 recipes to make you melt !!'
She has travelled to understand and experience food from China, to Naples and was asked to be an ambassador for the UN Year of the Potato conference in Peru.
- We talk about misconceptions about Mexican food in this country
- About pizza and its Unesco Heritage status, and generally naming of recipes respecting and honouring the culture and original recipe .... and her opinion on cauliflower crusts and pineapple on pizzas
- Cooking, writing great recipes, having to relearn her skills all over after a very bad accident 10 years ago.
- Stories about recipes and ingredients that people share and the memories they evoke for everyone involved when you read that recipe or make it again.
- Her Jewish Heritage book and how those traditional recipes changed as communities moved across the globe.
- Eating with others and sharing food cooked from their heart, and the care that shows that they have for you and how special that food tastes when you eat it.
- Growing up in Sacramento, how he parents tried not to eat the food of her heritage and culture, but to conform and become more 'American' and how a trip to Israel lit her imagination about food and really led her to move away art to food and write her first cookbook.
- She talks about reading about Anthony Bourdain the great chef, and then going back and reading many of his books again.
- Her memories of Thanksgivings and her favourite meals eaten at that time of year.
- And what she would take to a desert island with her....
She is currently writing a memoir. which I know will be filled with fun anecdotes, great food combinations and incredible knowledge and information about food as well as a life well travelled. Her excitement about food, cooking , recipe writing and sharing recipes and food with others is palpable in every word she speaks.