Joy Found Here
Making The World Our Classroom with Lainie Liberti
What alternative education options have sparked your curiosity? Some of the best learning experiences can only happen when we step outside of the conventional classroom.
In this episode, I am so excited to be joined by the captivating Lainie Liberti. Lainie is a best selling author, international speaker, teen mentor, alternative education advocate, and mother to her son Miro. She has chosen to educate Miro through a concept she called “worldschooling”, turning rich experiential learning, cultural immersion, volunteering and leadership into his school. Liberti has spoken about worldschooling on the TEDx Edu stage in Amsterdam, published her book Seen, Heard & Understood, Parenting and Partnering with Teens for Greater Mental Health, and has co-foundered Project World School with Miro along with additional courses and programs.
Throughout this episode, Lainie and I have a wonderful conversation about her journey and experience parenting Miro through worldschooling. She talks about her former career at a successful branding agency and the series of events that led her to dive headfirst into worldschooling Miro. Lainie also shares the changes she made to her parenting when Miro became a teenager, how the pandemic taught her to be more intentional, and what is coming up next for Project World School.
Tune in to Episode 63 of the Joy Found Here podcast to learn all about worldschooling from Lainie!
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- About Lainie’s former career at a branding agency (3:35)
- How Lainie had to reprogram the parenting style she had learned (16:07)
- About the traveling lifestyle Lainie and her son have pursued (18:43)
- The parenting pivot Lainie made when her son became a teenager (24:15)
- How Lainie became intentional about launching courses during the pandemic (31:06)
- About the exciting upcoming projects Lainie is working on (40:34)
Connect with Lainie
- TEDx talk - Making The World Our Classroom
- Book - Seen, Heard & Understood, Parenting and Partnering with you Teen for Greater Mental Health!
- Transformative Mentoring for Teens
- The Partnership Parent Movement
- Project World School
- Project World School Family Summit
- We Are Worldschoolers
View all episodes
133. Gift Yourself A Stress-free, Joyful, and Memorable Holidays with Melanie Huestis42:00The food, the gifts, the immaculate table, having everything perfectly decorated, receiving the extended family, or traveling to visit them, the holiday season is one of the moments of the year when, despite doing many things, we might feel overwhelmed by the idea that we can't decide nor control a thing. In this episode, I'm thrilled to welcome Melanie Huestis to the show for the second time. This time, we discuss holiday stress, choice, control, stress-free holiday options, and more. Melanie is an Energy Alchemist, an authentic soul who advocates for radical acceptance and is passionate about empowering people on their healing paths. Throughout this episode, you'll hear Melanie's thoughts on redefining holiday traditions to enjoy happier, more relaxed celebrations and the liberating feeling of letting go of control. You'll also hear about how freeing letting go of traditions that don't serve us can be, how she and her family turned Christmas into a little incubator where they stayed present and connected with each other, and much more. Tune in to Episode 133 of the Joy Found Here and let Melanie show you how to turn your holidays into a joyful, stress-free, and memorable time of the year again.In This Episode, You Will Learn:The busiest time of the year and our need for control (5:00)How Melanie turned Christmas into an incubator for collective self-care (11:00)How to avoid getting stuck in traditions that don't serve us (19:10)Melanie talks about choice and control during the holidays (29:10)Removing holiday stress through financial planning (32:00)Connect with Melanie:WebsiteInstagramPinterestLet's Connect:WebsiteInstagram
132. How To Unlock Your Path to Purpose: Insights from Stef Pinsley46:19Are your fears blocking you from rebranding, starting over in a different field, or making a massive pivot in your career? Ask you this: What seems more painful to deal with, the fear of doing something new or the regret and remorse, 10 years from now, of not having even tried it? In today's episode, I'm thrilled to welcome Stef Pinsley for the second time to talk about personal growth, self-care, compassion, career evolution, overcoming fears and limiting beliefs, and pivoting into more fulfilling existences. Stef, who left a dream job at Google to pursue her calling of starting her own thing and became a marketing and branding coach, pivoted again, crushing her fears, walking her talk, and becoming a Personal Brand and Mindset Coach, helping solopreneurs, freelancers, and small business owners build soul-aligned brands.Throughout our conversation, you'll hear about Stef's journey and new pivot in her career, how leaning into self-care and self-compassion helped her evolve and take action despite being afraid of failing, and the mindset and self-development tools that guided her new path. You'll also hear about Stef's latest program, "Path to Purpose," her thoughts on using AI to grow businesses, social media marketing, and more.Tune in to Episode 132 of the Joy Found Here and learn more about Stef's impressive and inspiring evolution. In This Episode, You Will Learn:About Stef's backstory and the first big pivot in her career (4:20)How to overcome the fear of doing something new (10:10)What makes pivoting so hard? (18:50)The power of giving yourself grace (21:40)Stef shares tips on how to turn AI into your best assistant (31:30)Give yourself permission slips (40:20)Resources: Listen to Episode #32 - Google Dropout Turned Marketing Guru with Stefanie PinsleyConnect with Stef:WebsiteInstagramLinkedInSecure your spot in Stef's latest program: Path to Purpose: Your Roadmap to Freedom, Fulfillment & SuccessLet's Connect:Website
131. Rebalance Your Body and Achieve Optimal Health and Fitness with Natalia García50:17Health and wellness are self-care; of course, looks can be a powerful motivator, yet the toned muscles, the tighter skin, and the trim waistline are simply a bonus we get from rebalancing the systems we got out of whack through poor nourishment, terrible sleep quality, and accumulated stress. In this episode, I'm joined by another five-star guest, the extraordinary Natalia García, who'll enlighten us about overall health and wellness. After a full-blown eating disorder that almost claimed her life, Natalia took the bull by the horns, learned everything she could about nutrition and health, and became a teacher for those interested in helping their bodies heal themselves. She owns Functional Nutrition and Wellness and is a Registered Dietitian, Functional Nutritionist, Food and Health Coach, Healthy Food Lover, and multi-certified nutrition and wellness professional. Throughout this episode, you'll hear Natalia's journey into health and wellness, the near-death experience that changed her views on nutrition and well-being, and why she believes being healthy and fit is about self-care, not looks. We also discuss nutrition and autoimmune diseases, Natalia's 7 Ingredients of Health, the relationship between hormones and metabolism, and much more. Tune in to Episode 131 of the Joy Found Here and discover what works, what doesn't, and why in overall health, nutrition, and fitness. In This Episode, You Will Learn:About Natalia's journey into health and wellness (3:40)Being fit and healthy is about self-care (12:40)The 7 ingredients of health (19:20)How nutrition can help to deal with autoimmune diseases (28:00)The importance of releasing stress for optimal health (36:10)Connect with Natalia:WebsiteInstagramLinkedInLet's Connect:Website
130. Letting Go of Expectations and Finding Joy In Life's Messiness with Melanie Huestis49:42"If we are one thing and one thing only, that's not living; that's literally showing up as a manifestation of a label that someone else probably created for you, and that's not what I'm here for." - Melanie Huestis.In today's special episode, the magical Melanie Huestis joins us to talk about personal growth, healing, individuality, and how prioritizing self-care and letting go of expectations can help us find joy and fulfillment. Melanie, an Energy Alchemist (some would describe her as a little bit of a weird girl), is an authentic soul all about radical acceptance and is passionate about empowering people on their healing path. Throughout our conversation (which ended up screaming for part two), Melanie shares her thoughts on the power of embracing humanity, adapting to life's messiness instead of resisting it, and the multiple benefits of self-care. We also talk about how to avoid giving space to the Judgy McJudgerson that lives in us, the transformative experience of checking our expectations at the door, authenticity, and so much more.Tune in to Episode 130 of the Joy Found Here podcast and get Melanie's top tips for a fulfilling and joyful existence.In This Episode, You Will Learn:All about the human being, Melanie Huestis (2:50)Why Melanie calls herself an Energy Alchemist (7:00)Melanie talks about authenticity (14:20)Be mindful of how, when, and where you engage with content consumption (20:10)The balance between the "I can do this" and asking for help mindsets (28:30)Drop it to the floor, burn that s#it! (38:40)Connect with Melanie:WebsiteInstagramLet's Connect:Website
129. Choose Your Words Wisely and Multiply Your Sales with Taylor Fischer30:37Where does your business page stand on a scale of "how can this company help me" to "this is exactly what I need, these people get me"? In this episode, Taylor Fischer joins us to unravel digital marketing secrets, talk about the power of storytelling, and teach us how to guide our clients to flow seamlessly through our funnels. Taylor is a storyteller by nature and a Sales Page Consultant and Copywriter passionate about increasing businesses' profit using powerful copy. Throughout this episode, Taylor explains why businesses' words define whether or not people buy from them, how she helps clients create copy that sells, and how she jumps into each project, depending on her clients' stage in their entrepreneurial journey. Talyor also talks about her relationship with AI as a copywriter, the art of creating stories that resonate with people, and shares tips and advice to create landing pages and funnels.Tune in to Episode 129 of the Joy Found Here podcast and learn more about the transformative power of creating stories that resonate with your audience.In This Episode, You Will Learn:A bit about Talyor's upbringing and her love for storytelling (3:00)How Talyor creates solutions for every stage in the entrepreneurial journey (9:40)Taylor shares her thoughts on the use of AI to write copy (13:00)The different strategies for digital products and online courses (16:10)Tips and advice to create smooth sales pages and funnels (19:00)Connect with Taylor:WebsiteAlignableLet's Connect:Website
128. Interior Design That Creates Experiences and Brings Ideas to Life with Erica Dike50:41If you feel your 9 to 5 is between you and your burning desire, you should spend your 5 to 9 working on your dreams. Remember: you only fail when you stop trying. In today's episode, the inspiring Erica Dike joins us to share her courage, vision, and self-confidence story and how she traded the dull safety of corporate life at NASA for a colorful, creative, and exciting entrepreneurial experience. Erica is an ex-business analyst turned into a data-driven interior designer. She is the Founder and Principal Designer at Erica Ooh Designs and the Host of the Hey Erica! Podcast. Throughout our conversation, Erica talks about her experiences working at NASA, how working there boosted her skills as an interior designer and the moment she decided to take the leap of faith toward entrepreneurship. You'll also learn how environments influence our thinking processes and the most significant mistakes Airbnb hosts make when determining their design budget. Additionally, Erica explains why interior design is about creating experiences, talks about her podcast, her passion for bringing people's ideas to life, and more. Tune in to Episode 128 of the Joy Found Here podcast and be inspired by Erica's story and talent to transform dream spaces into reality.In This Episode, You Will Learn:People are afraid of two things (3:30)Erica talks about her entrepreneurial journey (5:40)Interior design is about creating experiences (13:00)If you have a dream, you are the keeper of that dream (23:30)Erica talks about the most common mistakes Airbnb hosts make (30:20)Erica talks about the idea behind starting her podcast (36:00)Connect with Erica:WebsiteInstagramFacebookListen to the Hey Erica! podcastLet's Connect:Website
127. Change Requires Change. Touring Recovery's Bumpy Road with Kimberly Wilson43:53What changes are you willing to make to improve your mental health? In this episode, Kimberly Wilson joins us to have a tough but necessary conversation about addiction recovery, personal growth, and mental health. Kimberly's journey of addiction and recovery instilled in her a deep desire to transform how the world sees and understands mental health and substance use disorder. She is a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor, Certified Peer Support Specialist, and a Mental Health Influencer with a demonstrated history of working in the mental health care industry. Throughout our conversation, Kimberly tells her story of childhood trauma, substance abuse, recovery, and her battle against triggers she still faces daily. We also explore how personal growth and recovery influence and boost each other; Kimberly explains the need for a paradigm change in criminal justice regarding non-violent crimes committed by chemical dependants, shares multiple mental health tools and resources, and more. Tune in to Episode 127 of the Joy Found Here podcast and discover Kimberly's fascinating story of resilience, hope, and passion for helping others escape from substance abuse. In This Episode, You Will Learn:About Kimberly's traumatic childhood (3:00)Solid friendships are crucial for addiction recovery (16:10)Why non-drinkers are seen as rare exceptions (20:10)Change requires change (31:00)Kimberly talks about non-violent crimes and long sentences for substance dependant offenders (31:40)Connect with Kimberly:WebsiteInstagramFacebookTwitterEmail: email@example.comPhone: 988Let's Connect:Website
126. Get It Messy, Do It Scared, and Learn Along the Way with Amanda Yoa46:39Have you noticed that the feeling you get when you DO THE THING always trumps the one that holds you back?In this episode, the powerhouse of a woman, Amanda Yoa, joins us to talk about authenticity, purpose, commitment, courage, and freedom. Amanda is a Coach, Speaker, Best-selling Author, Host of the Stayin' Inspired podcast, and the Hype Woman you want to have on your side. The birth of her daughter was the catalyst for an utter transformation in Amanda's life; she decided to improve her self-love skills, feel comfortable in her skin, and find a way to exploit her true potential. Throughout this episode, Amanda shares details of her transformational journey, the tools that helped her live by her purpose, be authentic and find new ways to motivate herself to stay committed to her cause. We also discuss the importance of living in gratitude and paying attention to who we surround ourselves with. Amanda also shares details about her coaching style, podcasting adventure, what led her to make the leap of faith into writing, and much more. Tune in to Episode 126 of the Joy Found Here podcast, join Amanda's squad, and get the courage to get it messy, do it scared, and learn along the way. In this Episode, You Will Learn:A bit about Amanda's background (3:10)Find out what's good for you and lead by example (11:00)We are all shoulder to shoulder, living an experience. Stay humble and keep learning (16:50)If you give space to the whisper, it'll turn into a loud voice (24:00)Amanda talks a bit about her podcast and her experiences as a writer (31:20)Connect with Amanda:WebsiteInstagramTikTokListen to the Stayin' Inspired podcastGet a copy of the best-selling book Amanda co-authored: Becoming YouLet's Connect:Website
125. Turning a Brilliant Idea into a Profitable Business: The Story of Billie Kay Asmus40:13What if a solution the market never thought of is in your head? In this episode, Billie Kay Asmus joins us to talk about how she turned a brilliant idea into a profitable business that helped her regain her freedom and spend more time with her newborn. Billie is the Founder and CEO of Repaint Studios and the creator of The Repaint Tray. In 2020, she quit her 9 to 5 and started a small business refinishing furniture; bothered by the plastic waste of traditional paint tray liners, she looked on Amazon for reusable ones. But there were none. A couple of months and several patent searches later, the first prototype of The Repaint Tray was born, but that was just the beginning of her journey. Throughout our conversation, you'll hear all about Billie's journey, from trying to fulfill a need to thinking of a product that didn't exist, attending Venture School, learning to pitch and sell her idea, and then solving the manufacture and distribution logistics. We also talk about Billie's upbringing, the artistic gene in her family, pitching competitions, and much more. Tune in to Episode 126 of the Joy Found Here podcast to learn everything about Billie's exciting adventure as an entrepreneur, problem solver, and inventor. In This Episode, You Will Learn:About Billie's background and upbringing (3:10)How come no one thought about this before? (6:00)Billie shares her experiences in Venture School (11:50)We never forget our first-ever pitch (15:00)Billie explains what is The Repaint Tray about (22:20)Billie's top tips for the inventors out there (31:00)Connect with Billie:WebsiteInstagramTikTokLinkedInLet's Connect:Website