Career Warrior Podcast
#114) Managing Career Change from the Military | Don't Undersell Yourself | Steven Arango
Today, we’re going to talk about career transition. I know that many of those listening on the show...perhaps the majority...are going through a serious transition or will sometime in the next 5 years. Especially if you transition from the military, this can be especially difficult if you don’t have the right game plan or materials in place.
My next guest, Steven Arango, is a true Career Warrior. Steven is an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps, a lawyer, and a dedicated public servant. He’s a Federal Law Clerk for U.S District Judge Fernando Rodriguez Jr. and he previously worked for the U.S. House of Representatives. He’s an excellent communicator, having written several articles on foreign policy and international affairs for the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and other publications. Most importantly, he’s a public servant who loves to mentor others. As a mentor for Service to School, Steven helps transitioning veterans with their applications, resume, cover letters, and personal statements.
You’ll especially want to listen if you’ve been in the military or are currently in the military. Even if you’re a non-military career changer, I’m sure that this episode will have some key takeaways for managing that transition effectively.
Here's what we cover:
- It’s a great thing to be a part of our armed forces. Why should I be confident in applying for jobs? What are some of those skills I can apply to the real world?
- What are some common struggles for those who are applying for jobs outside the military?
- Let’s walk these veterans or future veterans through some steps they can take to prepare themselves to apply for jobs. What’s step 1?
- What’s the biggest mistake that transitioning veterans make when applying for jobs?
- If you could tattoo one encouraging message for every single veteran or future veteran dealing with job search difficulties, what would that message be?
Resources mentioned in the show:
- Check out Steven's website: https://www.stevenarango.com/
- Connect with Steven on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenarango/
- Military Transition Resumes: https://www.militaryonesource.mil/military-life-cycle/separation-transition/employment-education/how-to-write-a-resume