Inspirational Insights Podcast - Insight To Action
Understanding the Practicality of Moving to Self-Management with Doug Kirkpatrick
Raised on pioneer Morning Star’s self-management practices, Doug Kirkpatrick knew autonomy from the start. His book Beyond Empowerment: The Age of the Self-Managed Organization has been revised to include updates and more stories of companies taking steps toward self-management and the compelling benefits. In this interview with Insight to Action host and global change agent, Dawna Jones, they talk about:
- Why the term is ‘beyond empowerment’ and the fatal flaw in empowerment programs,
- Why the term employee is obsolete and the importance of language in the future of work
- Why you are already self-managing and didn’t realize it
- Why you can’t be fired in a self-managing company
- Why change is fluid and non-threatening in a self-management context
- How decisions get made
- Using scenarios and game theory to handle the unpredictable nature of financial planning
- How big to small companies are applying the principles and practices of self-management including manufacturing giant Haier.
Doug Kirkpatrick is an organizational change consultant, TEDx and keynote speaker, executive coach, writer and educator. Doug played the first season of his business career in the manufacturing sector, principally with The Morning Star Company of Sacramento, California, a world leader in the food industry. He now engages with the Morning Star Self-Management Institute and other vibrant organizations and leaders to co-create the future of management. Doug is part of the Great Workplace Cultures network and he regularly blogs for the Huffington Post Great Workplaces.
Dawna previously interviewed Doug for her Evolutionary Provocateur podcast. That replay is posted on Management-Issues.com Tomatoes and Self-Management or in iTunes.
Host Dawna Jones designs creative ways to get tough conversations and small to large transformational tasks accomplished while strengthening health. Her expertise lies in using personal and organizational energy for creative and constructive purposes, decision-making in complexity and self-realized leadership. www.InsighttoAction.com Follow me on Twitter http://Twitter.com/EPDawna_Jones or LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dawnahjones/
The intro music is provided by Mark Romero of www.markromeromusic.com. Mark is the former CEO of a semi-conductor firm whose music has been scientifically tested and proven to create coherence in the body. In other words, you feel better.