Human Restoration Project
111: Building the Modern Progressive Education Movement w/ David Buck
On today’s podcast we are joined by David Buck. David is an English professor at Howard Community College in Maryland who is actively involved in the ungrading movement, as well as focusing on open access resources, open pedagogy, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. To foster and grow the practice of ungrading, David is actively involved in utilizing social and other online media for discussion, including but not limited to his “Let’s Talk Ungrading” Twitter Spaces, which is also an edited podcast, the Ungrading Twitter Community, the Ungrading Book Club, the Ungrading Discord Community, and “Crowdsourcing Ungrading” an open-access book on Pressbooks.
We talk about:
- The desire and need for more spaces to gather and reflect on progressive education.
- What it means to build these spaces in "new media", such as Discord or Twitter Spaces.
- How we can get more young people involved in joining, curating, and creating these spaces (such as on Twitch).
- How we can inspire more educators to lead and grow these spaces, co-created with students.
David Buck, English professor at Howard Community College and mass-curator and co-leader of various ungrading spaces
- #Ungrading: A Digital Ethnography (Dissertation by Christina Moore)
- David Buck's Twitter (and location for Twitter Spaces)
- Crowdsourced Ungrading Pressbook
- David Buck's Sutori Student Blogs
- Ungrading HUB (Discord)
- Human Restoration Project (Discord)