Human Restoration Project
113: Guiding Toward Healthy Rebellion w/ T. Elijah Hawkes
Today’s guest is T. Elijah Hawkes. Elijah served as a public school principal for over a decade, including as the principal at Randolph Union in Vermont, and was the founding principal of the James Baldwin School in New York City. Currently, he is a director at the Upper Valley Educators Institute and an advisor at the Polarization and Extremism Research Innovation Lab at American University. In addition, he is the author of various articles on democracy, public schools, and adolescence including appearing in The New Teacher Book and Rethinking Sexism, Gender, and Identity. Further, Elijah is the author of School for the Age of Upheaval: Classrooms That Get Personal, Get Political, and Get to Work, which we’ll be talking about in this podcast. Further, his second book, Woke is Not Enough: School Reform for Leaders with Justice in Mind will release soon.
In this podcast, Elijah and I (Chris) will talk about an education that gets personal, gets political, and gets to work. It's all about how we can channel the anger of adolescents toward fulfilling, actionable livelihoods toward changing structures and systems that challenge and oppress them. Further, we'll discuss the growth of extremism, how dialogue has broken down and the difficulties in performing this work.
T. Elijah Hawkes, Director of Leadership Programs at the Upper Valley Educators Institute and Education Advisor at the Polarization & Extremism Research & Innovation Lab at American University, as well as a former principal.
- T. Elijah Hawkes' Website
- School for the Age of Upheaval: Classrooms That Get Personal, Get Political, and Get to Work
- Strong Schools, Polarized Times from the Upper Valley Educators Institute
- Polarization and Extremism Research Innovation Lab
- Confronting Conspiracy Theories and Organized Bigotry at Home from the Western States Center
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Dr. Rachel Kleinfeld's Articles and Books