#012: Scamming the Scammers — How Scammers Innovate /w Jim Browning
This episode takes a deeper look at the much-hated scamming industry, by exploring what types of scams there are, how the business model behind these scamming organizations works and how scamming has evolved over the years.
My guest is Jim Browning, an IT professional who, in his spare time, investigates and fights scammers. He has been featured in the famous BBC documentary series “Panorama”, where he managed to infiltrate a large-scale technical support scamming operation, leading to worldwide press coverage along with arrests of the scammers involved.
In this episode I talk to Jim Browning and cover some of the following topics:
- What types of scams there are, how they work and how my guest fights back,
- Why fighting scammers isn‘t as fruitless as you might think,
- How my guest infiltrated large-scale technical support scamming operation that was then aired on the infamous BBC documentary „Panorama“, leading to international press coverage and arrests,
- What the underlying business model of these scamming organizations looks like and how lucrative this business really is (spoiler: it‘s staggering!),
- Where most of these scams originate from and who their victims are,
- What some of the most creative and dumbest scams were that my guest has encountered,
- How scamming organizations have evolved over the last decades and how they are innovating and embracing new technologies,
- How to effectively combat scamming and better protect yourselves from being scammed,
- What type of mindset one needs to have in order to have success in the scamming industry.
Show Notes, Transcription, & Resources Mentioned: gammabeyond.com/en/podcast/012
Podcast Website: www.innovationalcorrectness.com
If you enjoyed this episode, could I ask you for one small favor?
Would you please consider rating and reviewing this podcast on iTunes, Overcast or the podcast app of your choice? It really helps us out, by encouraging more people to find our podcast and reach hard-to-get guests.
Last but not least, if you have any suggestions for further episodes or guests should be invited on this podcast or just have feedback, shoot us a quick email: email@example.com or fill out our feedback form.
Follow & add David on: