Season 1, Ep. 6
On today's episode of Floodlight, we're joined by Kevin Bales, Kevin is a Professor of Contemporary Slavery at the University of Nottingham and one of the world's foremost experts in the fight against modern slavery.
He joins Jules and Eugenie to discuss his three-decade career, where his academic studies and varied activism work have continued to help everyone from the United Nations to the next generation of change-makers.
For more info, visit our website or click the links below.
10. Dean33:59For the final episode of the series, we look at how the Russian invasion of Ukraine has resulted in an alarming spike in incidences of human trafficking.Eugenie and Jules are joined from the Poland-Ukraine border by Dean, a former member of the Armed Forces trying to help those displaced by the war. He tells us about intercepting human traffickers, just how prominent it's become and what we can all do to help.Thanks for listening to this series of Floodlight! For more info, visit our website or click the links below:MitmarkOperation Blue Shield (Mitmark)Our Journal from our visit to Poland and Ukraine
9. Ian Urbina27:13Joining us today is Ian Urbina, an investigative journalist whose work exploring sea slavery informed his celebrated book, The Outlaw Ocean.Ian has travelled across the world to explore how modern slavery touches even the darkest corners of the high seas. He tells us about some of his most challenging trips, how sea slavery touches all of our lives and how we can all help eradicate such an opaque problem.For more info, visit our website or click the links below:The Outlaw Ocean ProjectBook - The Outlaw Ocean by Ian UrbinaNew York Times- The Outlaw Ocean
8. Nick Dale31:14Operation Fort remains the largest case of modern slavery ever tried in the UK, and today's guest was right at the heart of it. We're joined by Detective Chief Inspector from West Midlands Police, Nick Dale!As the lead investigator for Operation Fort, Nick may well have more first-hand experience of fighting modern slavery than anyone else in the UK. He sits down with Eugenie and Jules to discuss the inner workings of Operation Fort, how his team helped numerous victims across the country, and the telltale signs of modern slavery in our everyday lives.For more info, visit our website or click the links below:Operation Fort Hope for Justice
7. Cindy McCain23:44Cindy McCain is a politician, diplomat and humanitarian who, through setting up the McCain Institute with her late husband John, has dedicated much of her career to fighting human trafficking.Cindy joins Jules and Eugenie to discuss the McCain Institute's extensive work out on the frontline, how she witnessed human trafficking first-hand in India and how we can all spot signs of human trafficking in our communities.For more info, visit our website or click the links below:McCain InstituteThornHuman Trafficking Apps - Unseen, Clewer Initiative, Stop the Traffik, Faith for Freedom
5. Nick Beighton25:58One of the more well-publicised industries tackling modern slavery worldwide is fashion. Today's guest knows more about the intricacies of that fight than most; it's former CEO of ASOS, Nick Beighton.Late last year, while still CEO of the fashion giant, Nick sat down with Eugenie and Jules to discuss how he helped change ASOS' values and practices - hoping others do the same - and gave us some great advice about how we can all shop more responsibly. For more info, visit our website or click the links below. - The True Cost of Fashion- Good On You- Michaela de Prince- ASOS Modern Slavery Statement
4. Dr Katy Robjant24:23Today, Eugenie and Jules are joined by consultant clinical psychologist, Dr Katy Robjant. She specialises in the treatment of PTSD and other trauma related disorders in asylum seekers, refugees and victims of trafficking. Katy discusses her work in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where she helped former child soldiers who have suffered horrific exploitation for generations, and offers some helpful advice about how we can all take care of our own mental health.For more info, visit our website or click the links below. Freedom from torture Vivo InternationalIf you or a loved one are seeking mental health support register with your local GP. For more support please see:MindSamaritansshoutHeads TogetherNHSProblem SharedCulture Minds Therapy*Narrative Exposure Therapy is a treatment for trauma disorders, particularly in individuals suffering from complex and multiple trauma. This form of therapy should be conducted by a licensed professional.*
3. Dame Emma Thompson23:11Today, we're joined by one of the U.K's most celebrated actresses, Dame Emma Thompson. Activism has been a key component of her career off-screen, so we wanted to hear about her extensive work in fighting trafficking and modern slavery.From finding out a friend was kept prisoner in a local massage parlour to adopting a survivor of child slavery, join us for some incredible stories and lessons she's learned along the way.For more info, visit our website or click the links below. Helen Bamber foundationThe JourneyRefugee councilUN: Human Trafficking Awareness / Video PSA by Emma Thompson
2. Wumi50:01Today we're joined by Wumi, a survivor of modern slavery in the U.K. She talks to us about how she found herself in domestic servitude after being trafficked from Nigeria, how difficult it was to report any signs of harm and what can be done to help support millions of people like her across the world. If you're listening to this in the U.K, people are being forced into slavery within a mile of you right now. Visit the links below for further details about how you can join us in the fight to rid the world of an epidemic that affects all of us. For more info, visit our website or click the links below. The Bramber BakehouseThe Salvation ArmyMigrant HelpSophie Hayes Foundation