Physis with Stefania Di Bartolomeo | E227
Jason Pereira talks to Stefania DiBartolomeo, Founder & CEO of Physis Investments. This investment is an ESG and impact investing platform for reporting sustainability amongst companies.
- 05:34: Physis is an indent in the Greek world and means everything that is alive on Earth. It comes from the same root of physics. Physics is the law of nature, physics from entering Greek is everything that's alive. So a Physis investment, it's reinforcing our mission. The concept of investing, where respecting everything it's alive.
- 11:21: We can also go as granular as really going deep down in saying if you have invested in Apple, the new iPhone has over 40% recycled. If you are investing in Nike I mentioned before, Nike owns Converse and every single pair of Converse is made with eleven plastic bottles, recycled from the ocean, says Stefania.
- 13:34: In the beginning because every single company reports information in a different way and not all companies report all the information. I can say a couple things. First, the level of disclosure has improved incredibly, over the last three years, says Stefania.
- 16:10: Thanks to Physis data. We are a platform that is the life of financial advisors in their day-to-day life. They can input any portfolio in the platform, and become aware of the impact, provide this disclosure to their clients with a customized report, but they can also have access to tools and functionality to build a better portfolio.
3 Key Points
- Stefania explains that they have automated this data collection for over 10,000 companies worldwide. Then we process data quality checks with emails, algorithms that are assessed by the company over a six years of historical data and by peer valuation. This means that if we take the suit, two emissions or one company we evaluate this youth group mission based on six years of historical data. We compare this by their level of production or revenue and then we evaluate how well they're doing compared to peer analysis.
- Measuring how a manager or measuring how an index or whatever it is you are using to execute on this, how it's doing not just beyond the current score of like, hey, it's scores 96% in terms of how clean it is compared to everything else. But actually, the windshield down to water usage, labor issues, carbon emissions, like being able to measure the cumulative impact of that overtime and how that ticket you can measure that, you can track when it starts to deviate.
- The first thing an investor wants to do is sign up, once you sign up, they can start using functionalities as we have called look up so they can just type the ticker of the of or an icing of any security. It can be a portfolio of funds; it can be a single company.
- "I wanted to start really when I was in college, and I was studying portfolio management and I started feeling disconnected from older classical investments because they had one goal in mind to make more money and I felt the need to add extra factors to just the financial performance." - Stefania